Dropped tile in shower tray..aghhhh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new bathroom which included a new floor, two new towel radiators, bath, wash hand basin, mirror door, spotlighting and extractor fan....

just finshed tiling around the shower base when I noticed a gouge (only word really) about 1/4" long in the shower tray... Just over the shower I'm tiling the ceiling...a couple of days ago, as I was tiling one fell off (I'm using an adjustable paint roller pole as a prop). As I had 2 sheets of cardboard and two thicknesses of bathroom mat over the tray I never thought any more about it...until just now....aghhhh

Is there anything I can do to make the dent/gouge a little less obvious...the tray is an expensive white acrylic type... The wife is going to kill me.

Sponsored Links
I have been working in this trade for 10 years

The tray has a skin on it if its what you call acrillic capped about 3mm, like a bath, shiney if the scratch isn't too deep you can use mild emery paper and t cut like you use on a car.

how ever if its to deep as in more than say 2mm you can also get a repair kit , usually 2 parts one the colour ie white and one a hardener liquid, costs about £20

if your not too fusey the best bet is to go to a car shop and get a mini paint stick for a car, paint/fill it in leave over night or so then tcut till it looks ok ;)

good luck cheers ben

Good advice but unless you’re really confident about doing such repairs, I would advise you leave it alone; if you don’t get it right you could well make it worse & then she will not only kill you but cut off your balls as well :eek: . Say nothing, hope she doesn’t notice, let her have the honour of 1st shower & then ask her what the hell she dropped in the new shower tray :evil:

Tiles on the ceiling is a little unusual; hope you used good/correct trade materials or there may well be a few more tiles falling off before too long.

Why would you tile a ceiling in Bathroom,i think thats taking a bit too far!I hope those tiles are stuck down well using good quality cement based adhesive because i for one would not want one of them falling off and hitting a kid on their head

Madness,sheer madness!!!!

Sponsored Links
I never really noticed the fact you had tiled the ceiling i assume its a dorma bungalow angled ceiling or some thing, what have you used to stick the tiles up with

i would probebly risk with silicone (maybe)

Get a proffessional repairer in and she will be none the wiser.

I've had an occassion to use one last year for a cock up I made that was far worse a repair than you require and it cost me £90.

Why would you tile a ceiling in Bathroom,i think thats taking a bit too far!
Each to their own.

I hope those tiles are stuck down well using good quality cement based adhesive
Shouldn’t that be stuck up :LOL: ; & that’s really my concern.

because i for one would not want one of them falling off and hitting a kid on their head
Just had a thought :idea: if another tile falls off when she’s having her 1st shower your home & dry. :LOL: ;)

On a more serious note can I ask what size/weight you tiles on the ceiling are? Presumably it's a plasterboard base?

Thanks for your replies...we had a good laugh...
on a more serious note the area I'm tiling on the ceiling is only about 3' square (roughly 10 tiles) I did this with the previous shower opening and once the adhesive has gone off its not a problem, unless you guys know better that is. (hmm one of the reasons I tiled again was that the ceiling was rather battered when I took off the old tiles).

Tiles are 13" by 8" porcelain ....on plasterboard and using Focus waterproof adhesive (Instant grab...not instant enough obviously as one fell off).

I've only put 3 up so far. I've just been and tried to pull one off and it took my weight (13st) and did not budge.

Maybe I'll just stop and plaster instead....

There is a weight limit for tiling onto plasterboard; 32kg/sqm unplastered reducing to 20 kg/sqm over plaster BUT this is for vertical boarding; turn it through 45 degrees & I would reduce that between 40-50%, I’ve no idea what the safe limit would be for tiling directly overhead but I can’t imagine I would ever do that.

Even quality waterproof adhesive & grout is only waterproof in the sense it won’t turn to mush when exposed to moisture (expensive epoxy products are an exception), it will still absorb moisture & I can’t imagine a more moisture laden environment than directly over a shower cubicle. If you used conventional PVA as a primer (another mistake many make), that could re-emulsify & the tiles drop off; if moisture gets through to the p/board underneath, it will eventually turn to mush, even the green moisture resistant stuff. All plasterboard in a wet area being tiled should be tanked but using waterproof tile backer boards is always the best option.

Cheapo DIY shed adhesive is generally crap, you should always use good quality trade products & with tiles that size/weight on plasterboard, you should be using a flexible cement powder adhesive not tub mix.

Plastering is more normal & certainly the way I’d go.

I've only put 3 up so far. I've just been and tried to pull one off and it took my weight (13st) and did not budge.

Maybe I'll just stop and plaster instead....

How did you attach your entire body weight to one of your ceiling tiles?

Tony

I'll go with the plaster..

Because I had left one edge of the tile (about 1/2" inch) without adhesive ( I was going to fit a chrome strip along the edge facing out into the bathroom) I was able to grip with my fingertips and lift myself up...

As I mentioned the previous shower area ceiling was also tiled..but I bow to you guys superior knowledge and count myself lucky that I got away with it last time....my luck could easily run out...so plaster it is..

Thanks again for all you comments...

I'll go and get the finishing plaster...this should be fun!

You could always finish off the tiling, then make sure it doesn't fall down by gluing a sheet of glass over the whole surface :LOL: :LOL:

I'll go and get the finishing plaster...this should be fun!
Make sure you have a read of the Plastering Forum archive posts where you should be able to find one fairly easily to help you understand how to go about it. It’s not a big area so as long as you follow the procedure it should be possible for you to achieve a reasonable finish; make sure you protect that shower tray though as your gonna drop a lot of plaster on it & you! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back