Dry fix system vs traditional mortar ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be having a new roof done sometimes this month, once the weather turns.

Recently i went to my local builder/roofer merchant, on display they had a Dry fix system setup. The bloke behind the counter said these are better then the wet mortar system. He claims that majority of roofers, nowadays use these as they are quick to install and maintenance-free, Is this true ? or is he just trying to flog me something i don't need.

Any inputs welcome guys, if someone has had these installed, how do they compare to the wet system, have they failed, ie: dry system to leak.

Sorry for all the questions, i just don't want to buy something i don't need!

Thanx

P.S Currently looking at double pantile (Terracotta Red) and double Roman (Terracotta Red) concrete tiles for my roof. I'm crap at making choices lol so not sure which ones to go for, Are these ok ?

Sponsored Links
Personally, I hate plastic verge caps, ridges and tiles. They are not 100% watertight, can blow off and fade with the sun.

I'm a bit old fashioned. A good mortar mix will last years. :cool:

no contest.. muck all the way.. dry fix actually isnt that much faster than an experienced roofer with a golden trowel..

Sponsored Links
no contest.. muck all the way.. dry fix actually isnt that much faster than an experienced roofer with a golden trowel..
Long as you don`t get an " itinerant" one with more gold round his neck than in his trowel :idea:

and then after a while the mortar falls out?

:cry:

what about the verges though? I have seen some much better modern systems than my old mortared edges

View media item 16560

Verges properly done are reliable on clay or Concrete tiles. Not damping down undercloak and tiles is the biggest mistake made.

Your picture shows a slate roof, just the nature of the slating process makes it near impossible to bed the verge as you go..
I have seen verges like the one in the pic made up of newspaper, fibreglass then simply smudged over.. Obviously it will not last.

what would you recommend to repair this verge?

Your picture shows a slate roof, just the nature of the slating process makes it near impossible to bed the verge as you go...
...also coupled with the fact that slates are so smooth and are susceptible to large temperature changes due to their dull dark colour, leaves them almost impossible to bed with mortar.

datarebal";p="1564932 said:
what about the verges though? I have seen some much better modern systems than my old mortared edges

View media item 16560

Verges properly done are reliable on clay or Concrete tiles. Not damping down undercloak and tiles is the biggest mistake made.

#Very true,A plant bio bottle,squirt,slap,scratch,wait,slap smooth,rub ;) does the trick.:cool:

If you dont fancy the dry verge system, why not try a cloak verge system? they are not that much more expensive than dry verge and look a nice finish, i know you can get them in Marley Mendip tiles if you like the profile tile.[

Cloaking is having a tile that fold round over the edge, I take it? I like that, but have black synthetic slates. What might match, and can be fitted to an existing roof without great disruption?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back