Dry Lining and Electrical Cables and Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on dry a wall or two and going to first fix some studs to the wall. I would then like to run some cables and pipe work between the studs.

I would also like to insulate between the studs with a product like Jablite or Cellotex etc before covering with plasterboard.

So my query - can insulation be cut around pipes and cables and allowed to touch the insulation?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
An alternative might be to fix Celotex GA3000 to the walls and hold them in place with timber battens. Plasterboard is fitted to the battens. Between the Celotex and the plasterboard is a service void.

As far as the electric cables are concerned, they must not be totaly surrounded be thermal insulation as this will effect the current the cable can safely carry, without overheating.
You can either upgrade the cable size for the whole circuit or make sure the cable is not surrounded.
and don't run copper pipes with electric cables, they should be separated to prevent any hazardous voltage going through the pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back