Drywall adhesive - Offering the board to the wall

K

KillingTime

Hi,

I'm about to plasterboard a brick wall. There are plenty of diy sites with pictures that help demo how this is done with drywall adhesive, the problem is, I'm wondering what keeps the plasterboard from falling back off the wall once its been offered?

I have a long (7ft high) wall to plasterboard, and all the vertical sheets have to line up. What do people use (if anything) to keep the board where you've placed them while the adhesive dries?

Also, I'm going to get the plasterboard delivered. I notice the 2.4m high sections come in 1.2m widths. How do people get this into their house?

I can just about move 2.4x0.6 floorboards around, so I guess I could cut the plasterboard up in the garage before moving it upstairs...

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
KillingTime said:
Hi,

I'm about to plasterboard a brick wall. There are plenty of diy sites with pictures that help demo how this is done with drywall adhesive, the problem is, I'm wondering what keeps the plasterboard from falling back off the wall once its been offered? The grab of the adhesive should be enough to keep it upright against the wall.

I have a long (7ft high) wall to plasterboard, and all the vertical sheets have to line up. What do people use (if anything) to keep the board where you've placed them while the adhesive dries? I stick two to four offcuts of board underneath the board, depending on the size of the gap at the bottom, to keep the board tight against the ceiling.

Also, I'm going to get the plasterboard delivered. I notice the 2.4m high sections come in 1.2m widths. How do people get this into their house? Carry it LOL! Most places drop the pallet outside your house and it's a right b!tch to carry 8 x 4 board on your own, especially when you've got to manouvre it through doorways and the like.

I can just about move 2.4x0.6 floorboards around, so I guess I could cut the plasterboard up in the garage before moving it upstairs... Personally I'd cut it in the room which you're boarding if you've got space. Otherwise you'll be back and forth all the time. Remember, measure wall, mark board, measure wall again, check marks on board and then cut. That's two trips to the garage for each board and you're only cutting a foot or so off so it isn't going to be much easier to carry and moanouvre.
Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Fred

Sponsored Links
and dont use the stuff once it starts to go off, clean up as you go and only mix as much as you can use.

Thanks for the advice.

If you order from B&Q, they offer to place the materials in any ground floor room of your choosing....for £20 which includes delivery.

I like that idea.

I can send the delivery guy back to base for a new sheet every time he breakes one getting it through a doorway.....

KillingTime said:
Thanks for the advice.

If you order from B&Q, they offer to place the materials in any ground floor room of your choosing....for £20 which includes delivery.

At a guess I'd say they don't extend this to plasterboards - if they did that's damn good value for money!

It's probably more for things like kitchens, appliances etc. I'd check with them first before getting excited.

Yes, a pallet of your finest Gyproc please and tell him to take every one into my living room!

And youll pay twice the price that you will from a builders merchant and they wont charge delivery anyway

not where i live plasterboard and plaster is cheaper at B&Q and the local yard charge me delivery.

by the way if you don't know how to carry a board that is 1200mm through a 2100mm door maybe best to get in some one with some idea

NS215 said:
by the way if you don't know how to carry a board that is 1200mm through a 2100mm door maybe best to get in some one with some idea

LOL, I think the problem is the 8 foot length and the position of doorways etc making manouvering the board through the house difficult.

B&Q also do a price beat guarantee. They'll beat the cheaper price by 10% so it's always worth buying from B&Q for generic building supplies etc.

i did some boarding today - using 2400x900x9.5 mm boards - getting them up the stairs was easy...but getting them round the 180 degree banister.....That was a challange !

cut the board in half but leave the paper intact behind it, fold in half voila unfold when you get it into where you need it.

the integrity of the board remains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back