Dual entry Microbore radiator valve question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm a DIYnot newbie with a little knowledge of plumbing, so please treat me gently! I've tried to gen myself up with a bit of knowledge, but if I get the terminology incorrect then please excuse me...

I've searched these forums, but cannot find a definitive answer for my question(s).

We have dual entry Microbore (8mm) radiator valves entering the left hand side of all the radiators in our house. I'd like to replace the radiator in the bathroom with a towel rail ladder, so I have a few questions.

Do towel radiators (or new radiators) have to use TRV's? If not, can I use the existing dual entry valve and blank off the other end of the towel radiator?

I know it would be more efficient to move one of the pipes to the other end of the radiator and use TRV's. Maybe I'm trying to achive things in a half-arsed fashion. I'd just like to know if it's possible to use the existing valve?

To be honest, our heating system does not suffer from any blockage (that I know of), but I suppose it may be a good thing to get it flushed?

Cheers!
Trick.

Sponsored Links
the thing to remember/know about twin entry valves is that they have a piece of 8mm pip going from the flow into the rad so the water circulates round the rad and not simply in and out the valves, so the rad needs to accomodate the pipe, some double panel rads only have a 40mm pipe before they split into the panels so twin entry wont fit, is your towel rad like that, google steltad compact radiators and you will see what i'm trying to describe (badly)

Sponsored Links
i cant really tell from the pic whether the pipe will go in the rad to allow the twin valve to work, but to be honest, given the look and the cost of the towel rail, go the extra and split the pipes and fit a pr of nice chrome valves and some chrome pipe covers to finish off a good job, remember a towel rail will only heat towels NOT a bathroom

Thanks guys.

No, it's not a good picture is it. :(

I didn't know that a towel rail would not heat a room, sorry for being thick. I thought it would heat the room too. Hmmm, thanks for that info. May reconsider getting a normal rad then. Anyway, if we do go for the towel rail, i'll split the pipes.

it will heat the room, just not when its got towels on it :D and even when it hasn't the outputs are very low. You won't be able to use your valve on a towel rail as the spreader pipe needs to go horizontally into the radiator whereas on a towel rail it will be pointing up, so you'll only have one side of the towel rail working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back