Ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install a fan light combination on the ceiling within my shower enclosure. I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of ducting the steam out through the wall.

Is it OK to place the ducting hose in the header tank of the central heating system.

Alternatively if I purchase a small header tank, place the ducting inside and seal the top of the header tank and feed a 15mm pipe (or smaller) from the header tank into the 32mm shower waste pipe in the bathroom below. This of course begs the question of whether it's possible to connect the 15mm pipe (or smaller) into the 32mm waste pipe.

A second alternative was to connect the 15mm from the new small header tank or plastic box to the overflow pipe of the central heating header tank.

All help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Need to vent externally.Can be thru wall or loft via roof or soffit.

As foxhole says, it needs to go outside. I'm not 100% sure what you mean but if you vent it into a sealed header tank it just won't work as you will have approx 4" pipe in and a 15mm pipe out, if you mean leaving it open then you'll have damp problems.

As foxhole says, it needs to go outside. I'm not 100% sure what you mean but if you vent it into a sealed header tank it just won't work as you will have approx 4" pipe in and a 15mm pipe out, if you mean leaving it open then you'll have damp problems.
Ditto?

WTF are you on aboot? I think too many of those school physics experiments have rubbed off on you.

Sponsored Links
Go on then, explain how a duct stuck into a header tank will work. :p

Noseall your post was most unwelcome. You are not on Twitter.

Spark123 you don't seem to have read my opening post clearly. I have not suggested leaving the box open.

Currently I have an electric pumped shower where a 15mm copper pipe comes out of a header tank and straight into the shower. I was thinking on the same lines where the small header tank would have the 4 inch duct pipe going in and SEALED with the 15mm pipe going out from the bottom and back into the bathroom and into the sink waste pipe. The question was whether I can make the connection with the 15mm pipe to the 32 waste pipe?

I get the impression that you think that the stream of air from your shower will blow into a sealed tank and then condense and let the water out of a 15mm pipe ? right? this will not work all that will happen is that the air will stop flowing because it has nowhere to go .. the 4 " pipe is there for a reason, it has been calculated that the fan can move a certain cubic metre of air per minute , so for it to work efficiently it will have to go to the outside .

Op, where is this ducting going to? If it's in the loft then a roof vent tile would be simple enough to install

Thanks Dextraneous, I didn't know that such thing as a roof vent tile existed. I assume that the 4 in duct connects tightly to the underside of the roof vent tile so that the steam doesn't leak out?

Thanks Dextraneous, I didn't know that such thing as a roof vent tile existed. I assume that the 4 in duct connects tightly to the underside of the roof vent tile so that the steam doesn't leak out?

You can connect the vent hose to the tile vent terminal spigot using duct tape.

I have been able to stretch and wrangle the hose over the spigot in the past but it is fiddly. You are better off trimming it and shoving it inside then use tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back