Duel fuel cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have paid a well known shop £80 to install my cooker (gas hob electric oven) when I purchased it I explained I did not have one of those red switches designed for cookers just a normal 13 amp plug, the salesman reassured me that was sufficient, however I have read through this site and realise that my cooker will need to be hardwired and my normal socket will not be enough. Do you think I should call the installation team and explain the situation or is this problem easily solved.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it single oven or double? Most Single oven dual-fuel cookers made for the UK market will run on a 13A plug, because most of the power is needed for the hob, which is gas.

How many amps does yours need?

Is it single oven or double? Most Single oven dual-fuel cookers made for the UK market will run on a 13A plug, because most of the power is needed for the hob, which is gas.

How many amps does yours need?

I'm not sure how many amps, however it is a double oven. any help?

There is a difference between recommended and required. It is recommended that any fixed appliance over 2kW should have a dedicated supply and should not be powered from the final ring circuit. This is because items over 2kW could add up and blow the fuse/MCB and also prolonged consumption of over 2kW as for example an immersion heater can over heat a 13A socket.
But an oven does not normally use the power flat out over a long time as soon as it reaches temperature it starts to switch off and on so plug is unlikely to over heat unless faulty.
So although not recommended one can run an oven from a 13A socket. That's 3kW but some ovens are over the 3kW limit. Mine has elements top, bottom and back (fan) and you can use them together so my oven (Stand alone) is over the 3kW limit.
Some cookers have settings which can be used to limit the total power. Even some hobs can be configured to run on less than 3kW. So without knowing exactly which cooker you have one can't give a real answer.
My sons multi fuel cooker only required a 12v supply for the water pump it would run on wood, coke, coal, peat nearly any solid fuel that would burn. It could also be adapted for liquid or gas the only option it did not have was electric. So duel fuel could mean anything.
Personally I do like solid fuel but don't like the dust it generates, as to gas far too dangerous would not entertain it although house is designed to use it. So since no flue in real terms I have only one option. Electric.
I would not really consider any other form of cooking as it's so controllable and safe. Not found a single gas cooker to date which will auto switch off if left unattended. Even solid fuel does that. So I will not consider gas as an option. To me it's an outdated dangerous cooking system which if it was introduced today would be banned. OK for central heating but not for cooking.

Sponsored Links
Your reply arrived after my post. It is unlikely a double oven is within the 3kW limit. However I had said that about hobs only to find you can get specials which can be configured to run on less that 3kW so really do need to read data sheet.

Your reply arrived after my post. It is unlikely a double oven is within the 3kW limit. However I had said that about hobs only to find you can get specials which can be configured to run on less that 3kW so really do need to read data sheet.
The cooker hasn't arrived yet, no specs as yet for my Cannon C60DPXF, I do hope the electrician can sort it for me.

http://www.cannoncooking.co.uk/macro/product.d2w/report?catref=7&prref=3&range=cpro&cpctry=uk

I've got a similar one, it needs a 20A supply due to the double ovens

the salesman was wrong

call the company and cancel the order due to incorrect information given at point of sale.

I believe Cannon do also make an all-gas model of the same high quality.

http://www.cannoncooking.co.uk/macr...catref=7&prref=4&range=cpro&cpctry=uk[/QUOTE]
I've been reading another post regarding Comet and installation, really naughty of them to give bad advice just to make a sale.I am going to try and cancel my order tomorrow.

Thanks

http://www.cannoncooking.co.uk/macro/product.d2w/report?catref=7&prref=3&range=cpro&cpctry=uk

I've got a similar one, it needs a 20A supply due to the double ovens

the salesman was wrong

call the company and cancel the order due to incorrect information given at point of sale.

I believe Cannon do also make an all-gas model of the same high quality.

http://www.cannoncooking.co.uk/macr...catref=7&prref=4&range=cpro&cpctry=uk[/QUOTE]
I've been reading another post regarding Comet and installation, really naughty of them to give bad advice just to make a sale.I am going to try and cancel my order tomorrow.

Thanks
I've been calling round all morning, just to let you know after calling Cannon direct I have decided to cancel my order as the cooker requires a 32 amp feed which I dont have, to have it installed I've been quoted £250 plus VAT and on top of that another £70 for installing the gas.
So Comet gave me false information all along. Not just Comet, all the big stores offer basic installation. Buyer beware.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back