Dulux paint.....OMG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We all know there have been problems with Dulux white gloss turning yellow, so I no longer use it.

But - I've always used their emulsion, usually the mixer ones and in Vinyl Soft Sheen, which claims to be durable and WASHABLE. Never had a problem before gently wiping off the odd finger mark..........until NOW!

I've just used 5ltrs painting lounge/diner, used a damp, white cloth to gently wipe off some finger marks from putting pictures and wall light up (wasn't even actual dirt).

Now I have a sort of sort of shiny surface on the places I wiped, you can see it gleaming from certain directions. I'M FUMING.

Never had a problem with this before, have written to Dulux for an explanation but a bit of a moot point really, they should not be claiming 'washable', clearly it isn't.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for suggestion Chri5, but definitely not, it had been painted about a week earlier. We waited for new furniture and light fittings to arrive before putting everything up in their new positions.

I think it was more like skin moisture marks (dare I say 'sweat') where we had held the pictures up with that weird technique we probably all use. Forefingers on either side of the picture, thumbs supporting the bottom with the rest of your fingers against the wall stopping the frame from scraping it while you manoeuvre it all around before settling on the first spot you put it in. :LOL:

We use dulux emulsion and still find it ok, but wtf is going on with their statinwood?

Coverage is bad, paint goes oily in the paint kettle..terrible.

Sponsored Links
I'm no fan of Dulux but the paint needs time to fully cure before any rubbing or wiping. Not sure what Dulux recommend but i think little green say 28 days for their intellimatt.

Sikkens satura is unbeatable IMO as a silk finish.

Thanks drdec, didn't think it would be as long as 28 days! Have written to Dulux to ask what is wrong so perhaps they'll say that too. If not I've had plenty to say about their 'washable' claim.

I know part of the problem are EU 'Directives' - less preservative affected the whiteness properties of the gloss (and satinwood I believe, if that's the wood paint where you can wash the brushes afterwards).

I've gone right off Dulux lately.

Dulux emailed and said it's 'wipeable' and needs time to 'cure'.

According to Consumer Direct they are tripping over Trade Descriptions Act twice. 1) Because they specifically say 'washable' which is NOT the same as 'wipeable'. 2) There are NO additional instructions on the tin referring to 'curing' (or the timescale for it).

Advised (by C D) to return the tin to B&Q for a full refund under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as it is not fit for purpose because it isn't actually washable. In the meantime Dulux asked for a painted sample (on a piece of white card) & offered "a paint voucher" for remedial work.

Nice gesture but I wonder how much fun they think repainting a 23'x14' lounge and a 10' x 10' diner was the first time round, let alone AGAIN!

pensioner took them to court over his woodwork going yellow, they offered a refund, voucher, then offered to paint his house for him and he held out and landed a couple of thousand for his trouble

Its daft offering a paint voucher (which they always do), why would you want to replace one inferior product with another? I can't think of a company thats ever gone down hill so fast, 'we' in the trade are mystified why akzo seem to be on a self destruct course with the Dulux brand.
There certainly is a difference between washable and wipeable, but i suppose its a bit grey, with a certain amount of pressure your wiping, add a bit more and your washing! The truth is steer clear of Dulux, there are now superior products on the market from companies like Bedec, Johnstones, Little green etc, its just that the shaggy dog keeps bringing in the diy customers who understandably don't have the same product knowledge as those in the trade. There was a time when pretty much everything in my van had a dulux label on it, there is now nothing and apart from the odd can of client supplied retail i haven't used a dulux product in several years. To be fair to Akzo the sikkens gear is excellent, but again the frustration is we in the uk only have available to us a very small range compared to the rest of Europe, i have no idea why because its very good paint, one almost gets the impression they don't want us to have it because its better than Dulux which perhaps has a stronger branding power in the UK compared to the rest of the continent.

Unfortunately we seem to be such a 'compensation' culture that Dulux think what I want are a few vouchers to "undertake remedial work", great idea, use them to buy more paint where the shading will be different and the rubbish quality the same...........not likely :mad:

I've SO learnt a lesson with what was once a leading brand, pity they have the widest colour range but the lowest quality. Though to be fair, we have the same colour in our kitchen but used the kitchen specific paint, seems to be quite OK there but then it is a different paint!

Apparently there is a breach of Trade Descriptions Act, can't say 'washable' if it is only 'wipeable', and if it needs to 'cure' it must say so on the tin #it doesn't even mentioned 'curing - let alone give a timescale#.

After I gave them a verbal wallop Dulux have started to backpeddle on the 'wipeable' phrase they used in an email, switching to 'gentle washing', but I still plan to contact Trading Standards regarding the use of 'washable' and no curing instructions.

Even got a couple of decent photo's of what's happened to the wall when merely touching it to put pictures up and what happened in one place when I tried to wipe it off!

The ONLY thing I want from this is that they change their labelling & in the meantime warn others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back