Dulux washable matt paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , just wanted some advice , I've just spent a month redecorating our hall, stairs and landing , the walls had been lined with paper and a matt emulsion on top, I bought Dulux washable matt as I wanted a washable surface, but after about 2 weeks of completing project I went to wipe mark off wall with a damp sponge and without even using much pressure the paint came off the wall and the previous colour is now visiable, tried another area and the paint is coming off the wall with ease, really anoyed about this as you can imagine, has anyone got any ideas as to what is happening, as really do not want to have to repaint, any advice would be gratefully recieved thanks :)

Sponsored Links
How did you prepare the walls? The paint is only as good as the surface it is attached to. Nicotine, grease isn't a good surface. Sugar soap does miracles but its too late for you!

Hi and thanks for the reply, I used a fine grade sandpaper on the surface of the walls before painting, to what I thought would give a nice key for the new emulsion

Hi, I totally agree with galax. I too decorated several rooms with Dulux Matt and on gently wiping odd spots off the walls find the paint is wiped off too. My walls were all very clean and sound, in a non smoking environment having previously been painted with a Dulux Matt a few years ago. This version of Dulux Matt, which, I assume to match current regulations, certainly does not wipe clean but wipes off. There does not appear to be a protective surface to the finish, because, as soon as you touch it with a damp cloth it sucks up the moisture just like the old fashioned whitewash did all those years ago. I am now left wondering what is going to happen when I redecorate the next time? Will there be problems? Will I need to wash this paint off?

I am not alone in my findings as family and friends have found the same problem.

Sponsored Links
I've been in touch with Dulux they tell me this paint is to only be very lightly wiped with a slightly damp sponge and anything harder could potentionally wipe the paint off :eek: not very impressed at all.

I've been in touch with Dulux they tell me this paint is to only be very lightly wiped with a slightly damp sponge and anything harder could potentionally wipe the paint off :eek: not very impressed at all.
Sounds like they are backheeling the problem, you would expect a manufacturer the calibre of Dulux to have a more stringent product testing lab.

Wotan

Interesting - Just to be sure I have just checked the tin but can see no instructions about how to wipe it clean. Sounds to me as if Dulux are making it up as they go along.

Not really wipeable is it, I have a Homebase paint in another room and thats been fantastic for keeping clean, thought as I was repainting hall and stairs i'd pay a little extra for a well known brand, mistake, should of stuck to Homebase paint, i'll have to repaint with another brand and do a section first and test for wipeability, as i'm worried about getting marks on the wall, defo wont be using Dulux again, they do need to be more persific on their tin about how wipeable paint is

I am working as a painter from several years, and can tell you if washable paint from Dulux is rather for removing dust and light dirt not for other stain marks, you will always wipe of paint together with marks :)
if you really want have good quality paint- which one you can clean go for farrow&ball- is oil based and more difficult to paint than Dulux but will last for longer an you can easily cleaned off without damage to the paint
my clients have even complain if "durable & washable emulsion" has been damaged when they used a sponge (I had to repaint entire wall)
Salute
MINDEX

I am working as a painter from several years, and can tell you if washable paint from Dulux is rather for removing dust and light dirt not for other stain marks, you will always wipe of paint together with marks :)
if you really want have good quality paint- which one you can clean go for farrow&ball- is oil based and more difficult to paint than Dulux but will last for longer an you can easily cleaned off without damage to the paint
my clients have even complain if "durable & washable emulsion" has been damaged when they used a sponge (I had to repaint entire wall)
Salute
MINDEX

Normal vinyl based emulsion (a PVA-type base) will never really be washable.
You can get acrylic-based emulsions that are more durable, or as stated, oil-based will be the best. But oil-based doesn't really handle like a normal emulsion.
Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back