Dumb ideas for internal doors ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old house I'm renovating, all the internal doors are wreaked but they are also odd sizes.

I'd be happy with plain veneer doors, maybe just plain white, beach, something simple.

Now due to the sizes being very odd my intial thought was to buy cheap hollow doors, cut and the re enforce them.

2nd idea was to buy fire doors which I believe usually have sold cores and trim those down. I dont need the fire rating but it may allow me to remove a lot of material and still have a rigid structure....

So, dumb ideas?

Sizes are something like... 690x1690, 660x1860, 690x1860 and so on..

Oh and budget is limited.. isnt it always :)

Cheers,

Richard

Sponsored Links
ask for door blanks.liek fire doors without the fire rating

remember if you trim/cut a fire door down that there are normally a lock bar installed inside it,you might take too much off and when you fit the handles/lock etc all its screwed into is ply?

Sponsored Links
Not too sure about door construction in the UK, but here in Canada all fire rated wood doors have a mineral core. These doors have very narrow stiles (the vertical edge of the door) and rails (tops and bottoms.) Not only are they unsuitable for cutting down width-wise or height-wise, you would find it virtually impossible to cut those cores down.

If I were in your boat, I would try to find someone who is able and willing to make (for a very reasonable cost) custom sized doors for you. I know here I could have them made for the same price as what a standard size would cost you.

The other option you could consider and would involve less money but more work on you part, would be to buy a standard sized door and cut it yourself. Hollow core doors typically have about a 1" - 1-1/2" vertical stile on each edge and usually about 2" rails so obviously with your sizes you would cutting out a good portion or all of those. As long as you have a slab only door (no panels), simply cut one side/end of the door and add a new stile/rail (or reuse the one you cutout), use some wood glue and clamp them tight for a good day or two.

Standard 27 inch door will fit dimensions mentioned, build out door frame if slightly under sized, any high frames can be built down to fit.Cheap option are four or six panel pine and can be reduced by more than the cheap hollow doors.

I like panelled doors, and I like heavy, solid doors. I have my eyes on 30-minute Fire doors with panels, the ones I have seen are I understand made of solid dense chipboard with a smooth finish and 4 or 6 panels. I can't see why these couldn;t be cut down. Cheapest supplier I have found is Wickes, they are about £65 in a white primer.

get door blanks and add some mouldings to your own spec and have different doors to all the rest of the sheep that follow boring trends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back