Duplicate Posts & Hijacking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There seems to be an increase in the duplication of posts on different forums recently. I recently spent ages preparing a diagram for an unanswered thread, only to find that the same question had been posted in another forum and already had several replies :mad:

So, how about adding a 'pop up' message when a thread is created, but before it is submitted asking the OP if they have posted the same question in another forum. If they tick 'yes' an explanation of the forum rules on duplicating posts is displayed, if 'no' the post is submitted.

Quite a bit of thread Hijacking going on too, anyone got a suggestion for preventing that?

Sponsored Links
People will undoubtedly replicate the content of a cross post nearly identically. The similar threads feature code already exists, and supplementing it to be able to also look for similar threads by the same author that have more than 90% of the same words is a relatively easy algorithm. Upon crosspost detection, rather than posting the new thread, maybe show a cross posting warning ("cross posting not allowed, you're being monitored for it now, keep doing it and we get the banhammer out") and redirect them to the first one posted

For hijacking, and a lot of other community trash, there should probably just be a click voting system whereby enough votes accumulate on a post of "this post has hijacked the thread", and maybe have different levels of user whereby some forum denizens have greater voting powers than others "gained through past good janitorial behaviour"

Community moderation works on a lot of other sites, so it must be easy enough to develop a system that doesn't suffer from too much abuse

When you say "another forum" do you mean a forum on another site or another sub forum on here?

If the prior:
What makes you think that a poster is not allowed to post their question on other sites?
This site cannot make rules that prevent that as other sites are nothing to do with it.

If someone wants help, they can ask far and wide to get it and it is completely their prerogative to do so.

If the latter then this is something that the forum software could be able to detect but generally does not and is usually down to moderators to spot and tidy up.

For hijacking, that's just a way of life, especially on here where so much bitching goes on between the so called professional tradesmen that once a thread is started the Op is often scared away for fear of being abused, the initial post often has no relevance to the resulting conversation (for that read "argument") :)

When you say "another forum" do you mean a forum on another site or another sub forum on here?

On this site. I was just venting after I had several experiences quite close together, when I had wasted 30 or more minutes posting information and / or producing a drawing to help someone with a question in the 'Electrics UK' forum for example, only to find later that they already had been given the answer by someone else, after posting the same question and starting a duplicate thread in the 'General DIY' forum.

The forum rules are there for a reason. Rules 5 & 6 refer in this instance.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, it's mainly the forum members that follow the rules, not those after help. There should be a system in place, whereby when you sign up, you are forced to read through the rules, before you can become a full memeber.

As to hijacking threads, I've seen a lot of people politely asked not to, but I think sometimes, its too tempting to work alongside other posts that are mirroring your own problems.

I find it very annoying when I see the same question and words posted on another site and people wasting time replying when it has already been answered elsewhere.

I often put a small post saying that it is mostly the same experts who reply on different sites.

When the OP seems particularly keen to ask on other sites then sometimes I even cut and paste my same reply on each site.

Last edited:
To be fair, there are times when a question could legitimately go in more than one forum - probably not as many times as they do get duplicated, but there are grey areas at times.

What would be ideal would be a way to create links to topics, so that a single topic would always be a single one, with all the replies etc, but would appear in more than one forum.

At first sight that seems a good idea.

But those running sites are making money from advertising and most are very careful to not allow any links or any reference at all to other sites.

I meant appearing in more than one forum here, not on multiple websites. I should have clarified that, as you meant the latter.

e.g. I recently had a question about making a garden path. Gardening forum, or Building?

Yes, we have all been unclear.

I have meant other website forums.

Will go back and edit to correct.

Tony

I have been found guilty of posting the same query regarding a sunken patio in the Building and in the Garden sections, I thought I would get the views from both sections, i.e builders and hard landscaping. Unfortunately the Building section which was producing the most views and information was locked or terminated. Whilst it must be difficult to monitor there must be exceptions to the rules.

Eric

I have been found guilty
Hello mr guilty.
Did you get the advice/help you wanted ?
There are some sad people here who report posts to the moderators/admin.so dont worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Back