Dupont tyvek roof membrane - noisy when windy - help req'd !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had an extension completed and the builders have used Dupont tyvek breathable membrane under the roof tiles. It sems a great product but I am now noticing that it is quite a noisy membrane when the wind blows !!

It seems that the wind gets underneath where the layers overlap and are causing a 'rattling' type noise. I havent insulated between the ceiling joists yet so hopefully that will reduce the noise slightly.

My question is would taping up where the layers overlap (from the inside) reduce the rattling noise and is this acceptable. I am planning to buy some dupont tyvek breathable tape but obviously dont want to go to the hassle of doing this if the building inspector says it is not acceptable.

Anybody else had this type of experience with this membrane ??

Opinions and advice gratefully received !!!!

Sponsored Links
sounds like it's been laid a bit loose, but wind can get right up there if your roof is tiled? as opposed to slate. you could glue it in say 3 spots in between every rafter, you'd still have it venting then as opposed to gluing the whole overlap.

Does it need to vent? It's breathable!

Bear in mind that the roof isn't insulated yet, once inso's in it should reduce or even eliminate the noise.

I'd tape the whole seam, whether the tape stays stuck is another matter. Never seen the tyvek tape but you'd expect it to work, being tyvek branded.

:idea: If the insulation isn't full depth, you could also 'weigh it down' by glueing a length of batten vertically, to the tyvek between each joist. No idea whether this will stop the rustling though and you need to make sure any adhesive used won't eat away at the fabric. :idea:

Tape it
Plus, check to see if an underlay support tray system is in use. If not then the underlay has probably been draped into the gutter and could easily be vibrating in the wind.

Sponsored Links
Being a bit loose is not a bad thing, as any water for any reason that finds its way under the tiles will be drawn away from the batten nails that hold it in place. Especially before tiling/slating takes place.

Breather felts are supposed to be taped at all laps. Most manufacturers sell this tape which is usually a double backed sticky tape that is run between the laps during installation.
However it is rarely done in practice as its expensive and fiddly and it doesn't usually cause a problem not doing it - except occasional instances of flapping laps making a noise!
This will stop when the insulation is installed, as long as the insulation is properly taped! As the wind will not then drive through due to the air pressure between the insulation and the underside of the roof coverings.
So no need to worry.
Regards
Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back