Dust stuck to new worktop, help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a new kitchen fitted with iroco hardwood work surfaces. We left it a bit late to put the first three coats of Danish oil on before the surface was fitted and I guess the oil wasn't quite dry because there's dust stuck to most of it.

I thought we could just wire wool/ fine sandpaper it off but I've just tried on a tiny patch and the dust is being rubbed into the surface making it look awful. Any suggestions please? I want to cry!!

thanks, Kat

Sponsored Links
If it was me, I would swab it with white spirit. This will soften and dissolve the surface oil so it can be wiped off.

If the wood is not already mirror-smooth it may pull bits of fluff off the rag. Once you have it oil-free you can use extra-fine glasspaper or steel wool again to get it off.

There might be a better approach that I don't know about.

just to put your mind at ease the situation is fully recoverable providing you do it right ;)

as i am not the best one to advise on this specific situation i will leave that to others ;)

there you are john d to the rescue

oooo and i would avoid steel wool unless advised as it can roughen up [open]the grain

Thanks to both of you, I will leave the white spirit attempt till The Husband comes home so if it goes wrong he can't blame me! :)

Sponsored Links
One of the usual causes of sticky oiled surfaces is not removing the excess oil after 5-10 mins, this will be more of a problem with already naturally oily wood like Iroko.

If they are just small sticky patches then a cabinet scraper will remove the excess oil.

You should also be rubbing down between coats preferably with a grey Scotchbrite pad (looks like a plastic pot scourer) as there is no risk of leaving small strands of wire in th egrain to go rusty.

Jason

In fact, noticed you can't private message!

Mothy, do you have any reasonable size bits of iroko left over that I could buy off you? I need a bit to box in my boiler after fitting my kitchen?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back