Dusty surface on new skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a plasterer reskim the hallway, its turned all pink and there is a fine film of plaster dust on the surface.

i read a post suggesting that it has been over worked with to much water.

The surface does feel a little soft in places, like you can mark it with a finger nail.

could it have been because the plaster was stored incorrectly or too old, i had maybe a month before it was used, and it was stored in an unheated house on the floor.

is there any fix, or do i need it reskimmed?

sorry if this is as basic question?
Cheers
Adrian

Sponsored Links
I think your first move is to get the plasterer back if you are unhappy with any aspect of their work and show them. They will not know how it has dried as they left way before that. See what they have to say and report back...

Unfortunately the plasterer is little difficult to get hold of and slightly unreliable. He was also on a day rate so the chance of getting him back in to fix for gratis is none existent.

We have arranged another plasterer to come on job price, and was wondering if this can be rescued.

Possibly some kind of stabiliser before it gets painted, or will a mist coat stabilise it?

A

I've never heard of anything like you describe before!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
it sounds to me like he has left a lot of the excess 'fat' on the surface, which would normally be trowelled off and wiped off the trowel with a brush.

cheers nose all,

so how do i remove the fat, i.e. just give it a good brush down? really light rub down with p240 grit or something? or dampl cloth.

i bow to those who nose all :LOL:

ta
Adrian

did they use a sponge on it? This is what can happen when the plaster has set too quickly then brought back to life with a sponge, unfortunetly is only comes back to life and never sets. Is there lighter patches in places? i would rub them down and easy fill.

hi no sponge, The wall was quite large,i.e. on the stairs, he flicked water from a brush on to the wall, and the house has no heating so it didnt go off that quick,

will try the easy fill,

Cheers for the advice.
A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back