E14 LED Bulbs - Parallel Circuitry

After you have made this, the first time you need to replace one bulb, the chances of finding one which matches the other 8, in shape, appearance, brightness, light colour and dimming characteristics will probably be zero. Be prepared to replace all of them each time.
... or lay in a reasonable stock of spare bulbs NOW.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. I haven't actually got the dimmer module yet - I'm just trying to get my understandings right on it first. Once I've done that, I'll go and choose one. I believe I need a one-way dimmer - what should I be looking out for in terms of connecting it? Finding a clear/consistent answer on Google has been difficult.

Totally understand your point about the bulbs B.A.S. and something consider. Personally I'd have thought LED strips around the edge or perhaps even built into a translucent frame would have been better, but she insists on the bulbs... I did a bit of searching and at least 2-3 lighting suppliers seem to supply the 'golf ball' style bulb which appear to have a generic look to them. Hopefully she'll have bored of it before the lifetime of one of these LEDs has expired o_O

How to connect the dimmer will be in the instructions for it. They differ, but a general one way dimmer will have two terminals. One in and one out.

but BEWARE.... you are using LED lamps with a total load of only 45watts. So you must must get a low load dimmer suitable for LED. The Varilight vPro/vCom is a good choice. Like this https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLKQP101W.html
The lamps must be dimmer-able as well.

Thank you. I know about the bulbs needing to be 'dimmable' but I wasn't aware of low-load dimmer modules. The instructions will probably tell me what I need to do yes, but occasionally they're written in fractured English! So good to get advice.

I'll look out for vPro as you recommend and I have also seen an abundance of them through a quick eBay search.

Thanks for your help, all. It has answered my questions and given me a good guide.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would suggest you dispense with the dimmer idea. If it is for her to put on lipstick and cover wrinkles why would you want to dim it?

Good point and I concur, but I think it's all to do with the "right lighting" when applying different products and taking the obligatory selfie.....

I won't mention the word "wrinkles" to her :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Good point and I concur, but I think it's all to do with the "right lighting" when applying different products and taking the obligatory selfie.....
At risk of making the wiring/switching slightly more complicated, you could give her the option of having, say, half or all of the bulbs lit - or even 'one third, two-thirds or all' of them lit.

Kind Regards, John

As an update, I completed the project.

Needs tidying up (filling the countersunk screw holes and a lick of paint), but it's pretty much done.

I put it up Christmas day morning at 0630 with the hope of it being a nice surprise for her to wake up to. Queue me switching it on and the equivalent of 300w of light filling the room which prompted her wondering what the hell was going on... definitely a good idea to get the dimmer put on as she can control light levels, but maybe next time with smaller-wattage bulbs :D

IMG_3268.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back