Earth/Bonding connection from Jacuzzi/Whirlpool bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have purchased an aonisi Jacuzzi / Whirlpool bath, similar to the picture below:

http://www.aonisi.net/productview.asp?id=529&tnid=0&tid=73

The appliance has a plug on which i am taking through the bathroom wall and into a socket in the next room, but there is a seperate earth coming from the built in pump, with an eyelet on the end of it. I am presuming this is a seperate bonding connection, where would something like this connect to? ...It makes no reference to this in the manual, although the manual is pretty poor to be fair.

Thanks for any help in advance !!

Stu.

Sponsored Links
itll be supplementary bonding, linking if possible to the earth in the light switch, not sure how possible that is for you?

Everything in the bathroom should be at the same equipotential.

Are you replacing a bath or shower? if theres an earth to that you need those joining, by connecting to metal work under the spa with a clamp

kevinspark said:

Everything in the bathroom should be at the same potential

kevinspark said:
itll be supplementary bonding, linking if possible to the earth in the light switch, not sure how possible that is for you?

Are you replacing a bath or shower? if theres an earth to that you need those joining, by connecting to metal work under the spa with a clamp

Hi,

I am replacing a normal bath with a jacuzzi bath. It wouldn't be possible to connect to the light switch as the bonding cable from the jacuzzi is only about 1 metre long, anywhere else i could conect it?, there doesn't appear to be any earthing under the original bath either, and the bathroom has copper pipes (not plastic) ... could i wire it into the earth terminal on the 3 pin plug coming from the jacuzzi?

I also used to have an electric shower over the bath which i have taken out although the wiring and pull cord for this are still in place, but isolated at the moment.

Should i go into the loft and bond all the pipes that feed the bathroom? ... then bond my jacuzzi to the copper pipework?

Thanks for any further help !!

Sponsored Links
baxpoti said:
kevinspark said:

equipotential adj, having equal potential.

Thats how I was always taught in C&G, and its still taught that way to my apprentice

Hense the term EEBADS

kevinspark said:
baxpoti said:
kevinspark said:

equipotential adj, having equal potential.
yes so you could say :
Everything in the bathroom should be at the equal potential
Or
Everything in the bathroom should be at equipotential
Not
Everything in the bathroom should be at the same (/equal) equipotential

no you can't bond it to the earth on the plug lead as this can be unplugged.. needs to be permanent fixture...

and god yes.. bond that bathroom for your own sake..

ColJack said:
no you can't bond it to the earth on the plug lead as this can be unplugged.. needs to be permanent fixture...

Ok, let me get this correct, could someone kindly advise if what i am saying is right:

Run a 4mm earthing cable to every copper pipe in the bathroom, then connect the cable into the earth on the bathroom light, once i have done this i can then earth my jacuzzi onto one of the earthing points !!

I also have an en-suite bathroom downstairs fed off the same pipework, if i earth upstairs, will it protect downstairs too?

Quite worried now i am exposed to shocks :eek:

Thanks again for any help.

llahuts3791 said:
ColJack said:

Ok, let me get this correct, could someone kindly advise if what i am saying is right:

Run a 4mm earthing cable to every copper pipe in the bathroom, then connect the cable into the earth on the bathroom light, once i have done this i can then earth my jacuzzi onto one of the earthing points !!

I also have an en-suite bathroom downstairs fed off the same pipework, if i earth upstairs, will it protect downstairs too?

Quite worried now i am exposed to shocks :eek:

Thanks again for any help.

Anyone?

The appliance has a plug on which i am taking through the bathroom wall and into a socket in the next room

In which bathroom Zone will this wiring route? Will it be under the floor, buried in the wall, in trunking, on the floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back