Earth bonding with push fit connectors and plastic piping.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am installing a new bathroom, I am using copper pipe with plastic push fit connectors, can anyone help me with regard to earthing the pipes and fitting earthing clips ect ect. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
copper pipes with pushfit connectors is about the worst combination, you can't use the connectors as part of the bonding path but you can't trust them to isolate either. Therefore either the connectors will need to be bridged or every pipe leaving the bathroom will need to be bonded seperately.

As normal any circuits supplying equipment in the bathroom (lighting and shower generally but there may be others too) must also be included in the bathroom bonding.

Hi, Thanks for your reply Plugwash, If the copper pipes entering the bathroom are bonded , is it ok to use plastic connectors on anything that is connected to those copper pipes.. Regards.

Sponsored Links
But the OP is referring to copper pipes with plastic connectors, not a plastic installation with copper tails

Hi, As I read it ,If the metal pipes are bonded as they enter the bathroom then the plastic isolates the rest of the installation. What do you think about that, Regards

tvman said:
Hi, As I read it ,If the metal pipes are bonded as they enter the bathroom then the plastic isolates the rest of the installation. What do you think about that, Regards

To provide isolation there must be enough plastic though, a short piece like a push on connector isn't going to provide isolation hence the supplementary bonding is still required. It depends on how the pipework is run as to where bonding is required, do any of the pipes pass through the bathroom? Can you not solder yorkshire joints, would make life easier ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back