earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i recently replaced my s s kitchen sink. the old one had an earth bonding tag and was bonded to hot and cold pipes. the new one had no tag. how important is it to earth bond it ?

Sponsored Links
There is no longer a requirement to supplementary bond a metallic kitchen sink in a domestic situation

Sponsored Links
Consider accidently dropping a double insulated hand tool into the sink when full of water.

If the sink is bonded then there will be a path from the saturated electrics in the tool to earth via the bond. This will trip the RCD (if fitted) and remove power reducing the risk of electric shock,

If the sink is not bonded and the tap to sink "connection" is poor or the taps and not fitted in the sink then the saturated electrics will not have any path to earth so the RCD will not operate. The water will be pulled to a potential approximately mid way between live (230 volt ) and neutral ( about 0 volt ).

So without a bond the water in the sink will be at about 115 volts. Enough to provide serious shock if one is touching an earthed object and the sink.

The RCB will (should) trip on the current flowing through the body before the shock itself is fatal.

So do you mean I need to now throw my plastic washing up bowl away as that is an insulator?
If people are stupid enough to use mains appliances over a sink then that is their look out.

If people are stupid enough to use mains appliances over a sink then that is their look out.
I have a lot of sympathy with that viewpoint, but the fact is that we live in a world (which some call a 'nanny state') in which many of our practices (and, increasingly, regulations) exist to reduce potential hazards due to situations and behaviours which are far less probable and/or far more stupid than that.

Kind Regards, John.

Get a sticker saying

"Do not drop power tools in the sink when full of water",

that ought to solve it.

What would you recommend I chian the wife to if I get rid of the sink?

What would you recommend I chian the wife to if I get rid of the sink?
Bernard didn't say that you should get rid of the sink, merely that it (and presumably anything chained to it) should not be in the kitchen :)

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back