Earth Bonding

bernardgreen's answer seems clear in this case, but out of curiosity...
Suppose it really was impossible due to concrete raft etc. Would it be acceptable to take a (protected) bond out of the building, along the side under a path and back into the place where the supply pipe enters?
Thanks
V

Sponsored Links
A qualified electrician did just that to a neighbour's house but ran two wires along the wall about a foot above the path. Looks a mess and careless pruning of the climbing plants that now cover some of it could damage the cable

"Impossible" is a strong word.

Are we talking aboput a house that has no skirting boards it could be clipped to or tucked behind? No ceilings where it could be hidden behind coving? No upper floor where it could be run under the boards and brought down in a corner? No plaster walls that could be chased out?

I think the word you're looking for is "inconvenient."

Let me know when you find a house where the owners say it's "impossible" to run a telephone line or a TV aerial cable, or run piping for central heating, so they do without.

As has been said by Davy i think,the main equipotential bonding you need for your water pipes should be made at a suitable location that is accessible for inspection and testing as soon as it enters your house.
The plastic pipe, (blue) , MUST come up through a floorboard at some point and where it is connected to the copper pipe for the rest of your installation and that point is accessible, (even with a moveable object in the way), then thats where it should be bonded back to the MET.

Sponsored Links
I installed a MEB to a gas meter last week. It took me and my apprentice half a day to get the cable from the CU to the meter.

The gas meter was in the kitchen, and the CU was in the lounge.

The kitchen floor was concrete, and the lounge floor was covered with laminate. We had to cross 2 doorways, and there was no access above.

Bonding is not impossible.

Suberb tools for the job:

maglite.jpg

Torch

1079518846.jpg

Mirror

p42021_x.jpg

Cable rods

JohnD said:
"Impossible" is a strong word.

Are we talking aboput a house that has no skirting boards it could be clipped to or tucked behind? No ceilings where it could be hidden behind coving? No upper floor where it could be run under the boards and brought down in a corner? No plaster walls that could be chased out?

I think the word you're looking for is "inconvenient."

Let me know when you find a house where the owners say it's "impossible" to run a telephone line or a TV aerial cable, or run piping for central heating, so they do without.

Bang on, John.

Reminds me of my customers who whinge that upgrading their wiring is too expensive yet they have £40/month sky, plasma tv's the latest Merc etc.....

Most of my customers who can't afford things (well my bill in particular) have just had a holliday.

You guys are mean! Leave the poor guy alone! :D

... says he who just ripped apart boxed in pipework and sds'd a 5 meter channel through concrete to get cable to a bathroom for a towel rail.

LOL

:cool:

grave diging again i see..?

by all means feel free to search for old posts but check the last post date before replying..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back