Earth Clamp on SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable to have an earth clamp on the steel of the SWA to 'Earth' The SWA? Seen it a few time now when people cant get it into a glanded metal box

Sponsored Links
No it's not. I've seen it too but the clamp will crush the PVC and work loose over time.

If you can't fit a metal box to earth it into (bad design IMHO) then just put a gland on without the box and link to the banjo. Mechanically it's not ideal bu I can imagine it provides a much better electrical connection.

If you can't fit a metal box to earth it into (bad design IMHO) then just put a gland on without the box and link to the banjo. Mechanically it's not ideal bu I can imagine it provides a much better electrical connection.

Or cut over size holes, one per cable, in the plastic box and fit a metal gland plate inside the box to take the glands. Or less tidy but maybe easier have a metal gland plate outside the plastic box and fixed to the wall. This removes almost all mechanical stress from the plastic box.

Sponsored Links
Use a piranha locknut or double locknut the gland with the banjo sandwiched between the two locknuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back