earth leakage clamp meter

so am i actually right? :D

some good words lads, "inversly proportional" "dialectric" "torroidal leakage" lol

Sponsored Links
lol, what is it with people comparing electricity problems to everday life?

surely a fault will lessen resistance and increase current?

if the resistance l-e is 10,000ohms, 240 volts? 240/10,000 = 0.024

so if i ir test a l-e fault to be 10Mohms will it leak 24ma?

or am i talking pish?
You are a factor of 1000 out, 10,000Ω= 10KΩ,
10,000,000Ω = 10MΩ

yup, missed out the wee difference of K and M there. 0.024ma is a pretty rubbish example, lets say it was leaking 0.01Mohm

once again my bad, so if the fault resistance is 10,000kohms and the suppy voltage is 240, with only fixed wiring in the form of t+e cable, the leakage current would be 0.024 amps? 24ma? close to a rcd tripping current?

Sponsored Links
Could be over the threshold for a 30mA device - they trip anywhere between 16mA and 30mA.

10,000kohms and the suppy voltage is 240,....... the leakage current would be 0.024 amps? 24ma? close to a rcd tripping current?

10000kOhms = 10 MOhms

If it were 10000 Ohms then, yes, leakage would be 0.024A (24mA)

Most 30mA RCDs will trip around the 25mA range on ramp test

10,000kohms and the suppy voltage is 240,....... the leakage current would be 0.024 amps? 24ma? close to a rcd tripping current?

10000kOhms = 10 MOhms

If it were 10000 Ohms then, yes, leakage would be 0.24mA

Most 30mA RCDs will trip around the 25mA range on ramp test

sound, and once again another mistake by me, i meant 10,000 ohms. thanks ricicyle.

would i have to disconnect transformers for this or turn them off at switch? i.e switching live off.

or am i talking pish?

You need to learn yourself some sums, mate. If I was a customer who received an EIC containing your calculations I would not be best pleased.

or am i talking pish?

You need to learn yourself some sums, mate. If I was a customer who received an EIC containing your calculations I would not be best pleased.

think i done alright for that time off the night bud, and after many a heineken stubby as well :LOL:

I disagree - powers of 10, SI prefixes etc ought to be so familiar and ingrained that you'd have to be too drunk to stand or see let alone use a computer for you to make so many mistakes.

I disagree - powers of 10, SI prefixes etc ought to be so familiar and ingrained that you'd have to be too drunk to stand or see let alone use a computer for you to make so many mistakes.

:LOL: I've lost count of the times I've said gigabyte instead of terrabyte... (perhaps my brain is still locked in thinking terrabyte an obscene amount of storeage for a desktop computer :p - but then I do remember thinking a 1 gigabyte drive would be more than you'd ever use back when they were around in the mid 90's :eek: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back