earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just found out that my flat is not earthed? I know, bloody dangerous and plan to get a spark in ASAP to look at. Sockets/switches etc. seem to be earther ok, but no earth apparent at consumer unit? However, just to get an indication of how big a job this might be?

1. Why would this have ever happened?

2. I've been told that once earthed then thats when all sorts of problems with sockets and switches might arrise? I don't understand?

3. Any other insights?

Sponsored Links
If it is truly unearthed then it is unsafe. Is it a rented flat? What leads you to believe it is unearthed?

If you can lay your hands on a digital camera and put up some pics we would be interested to see them, especially around the incoming service cable and head, the meter, and the consumer unit.

Splash out £8 on a socket tester
p2945783_l.jpg
and tell us what it says.

It might be that the original installation was earthed via the incoming water supply. It's been a long time since that was allowed, but it may actually be giving you some protection.

The chances are that you will not suddenly be plagued with problems. If the installation hasn't been extensively modified there's every chance it's still in good condition. (It may, however, be overdue for a rewire - let your electrician advise)

The earthing is there to enable automatic disconnection of circuits if a fault develops. As you're still alive and you haven't mentioned shocks it suggests that this hasn't happened. Just sit tight, don't worry, don't mess about with your switches and sockets and see what your spark says.

(By the way, I regularly come across installations with no earthing or bonding whatsoever. The usual reaction is, "Is that a problem then? Only we've lived here for thirty years and never had a problem.")

dingbat said:
(By the way, I regularly come across installations with no earthing or bonding whatsoever. The usual reaction is, "Is that a problem then? Only we've lived here for thirty years and never had a problem.")

Survivor bias.
You never meet the ones who say "I was electrocuted when filling the kettle."

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
dingbat said:

Survivor bias.
You never meet the ones who say "I was electrocuted when filling the kettle."
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

30 years and nobody ever spotted a problem with the earthing . . . how the hell does that happen? :eek: :eek:

crafty1289 said:
30 years and nobody ever spotted a problem with the earthing . . . how the hell does that happen? :eek: :eek:

Very easy. If you don't know you should have one, how do you know it's wrong?

in these cases you will find 9 out of ten times that the house has a good earth through the service pipes even tho its wrong. usually nowt to worry about. try to get someone to do a ze test to know for sure

dingbat said:
It might be that the original installation was earthed via the incoming water supply. It's been a long time since that was allowed,

Went out with the 14th published in 1966.

hence why i sed get someone to do a ze for him crafty 1289. yes we know its wrong but dont make the poor bloke panic. its likely his earth is as good via water pipe as it would be with a pme!

all in all it does not comply with 7671 but hes been ok for 30 years, im sure he will be fine till he gets it fixed[/quote]

Interesting responses! Well it turns out that there's no earth in the flat, not even from the pipes or anything?? why thats the case I don't know, and as my spark has ead to me.....you've been b****y lucky. I've also got spurs runing from spurs running from spurs and not on a ring circuit. b****y botched job, I don't know?

However, here's one for you. The spark I had up tonight, friend of a friend, really nice guy retired ten years but been in active service ever since....you guys never really retire do you? Qualified in 1948.old skool spark knows his stuff and for me worth his weight in gold as he's someone you can work with, honest, reliable and has a good bedside manner if you know what I mean? in otherwords he can also emphathise with your predicament i.e. girlfriend moved out an stayin with sister until DIY disaster is sorted out etc. etc. However, not workin with company and therfore no can no provide certificates for work--- upfront about this though and not touting for business. And then there's the young pretender, workin for big company, fits out recording studious, speakers in swimming pools for the rich and famous, worked on grand designs etc etc. and can provide the certification...but here's the rub.is a friend of the girlfriends, but can I work closely with this guy??? not sure? (nothing to do with him being frienly with the g'riend honestly), but just not as good at the PR and workin with you rather than for you.. if u know what I mean?
So who do I go with???
this should generate some interesting debate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back