Earthed Bathroom Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all,

Have just purchased a new ceiling light for the bathroom. Went to install and found that it says it should be earthed. Never came across this before. Does it really need earthing and if so where is the best place to try and run an earth from/to. Obviously being a lighting circuit there is no earth cable running with the cables !

Look forward to any ideas.

Regards
Mark

Sponsored Links
there damn well should be an earth cable in your lighting cuircuit

if not then i suggest you rewire the lighting cuircuits and then get an electrician to inspect the rest of the wiring

DIYbloomers said:
HI all,

Have just purchased a new ceiling light for the bathroom. Went to install and found that it says it should be earthed. Never came across this before. Does it really need earthing
If it says it does, then it does.

and if so where is the best place to try and run an earth from/to.
The lighting circuit.

Obviously being a lighting circuit there is no earth cable running with the cables !
The only "obvious" thing about a lighting circuit not having an earth is that it is obviously old and obviously not up to modern standards and obviously unsuitable for any appliances that need earthing or metal switches.

Look forward to any ideas.
Rewire the lighting circuit.

Are you SURE there is no earth??

Have they not been cut off tight with the sheath?? If they have, you will have to put that right on EVERY lighting point in the house to ensure a path right back to the fuseboard.

How old is the wiring/house??

Sponsored Links
Hi,

SORRY, forgot to engage brain before opening my mouth !!

Its been a long hard month trying to sort our new house out and the brain was a bit haddled by the time I got to the bathroom light.

Yes there is earth running with the lighting circuit.

Would appear that some bright spark has run a short unearthed cable from the pull cord bathroom light switch to the actual light !!

I assume that this is unacceptable and will rectify immediately.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back