Earthing a light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having removed the rose from the light fitting, there seems to be an earth attached directly between the rose terminal and the light cable anchor, with a cross between a washer and a spade grip, as shown in the photos below.

My question is, will this be a good earth? It looks a bit dodgy to me....how would the light fitting itself be getting back to earth?

Also, if the switch has an earth, which it has, are the chances good that there is an earth (apart from the one shown in the photos) in amongst the cabling that I have yet to discover?

Cheers

Trev

Sponsored Links
Looks a bit messy.......it could be that this is a good earth and it is continuous throughout the circuit. Now we would need to see how this fitting is re-assembled so we can see the other parts.....this will give us an idea of the earthing requirements for this particular fitting.

Thanks for the reply. This is the old light fitting, and I was hoping to replace it with a new one I've bought which also requires an earth. So the whole thing will be going, apart from the cabling. Which means the earth will not be able to be attached using the spade grip washer type thing to the main body of the light fitting. Because it's not going to be there any more :)

If there is an earth, maybe cut back, in the exisiting cable, I should be all right. I was just wondering if the current configuration was common / safe / has ever been seen before?

Cheers

Trev

Can you show us a pic of the wiring as it enters the top of the terminal block? Also is the fitting itself metalic? Might be a CPC in the flex also.
It might be better to have the block terminated in a round ceiling box as opposed to having it crammed in there. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTMDLB6.html

Sponsored Links
Photo of the terminal block - I can see a green wire going in from above on the right, so that should be OK to wire into the new rose.

And this is what I will be fitting...

It lets you slide the light bulb/cable/shade out of the rose, seemed quite a clever idea at the time.

Cheers

Trev

Nice interesting bit of kit. You will need to identify the existing cables carefully when you change over to your new fitting. You should be able to dispense with the choc block.

See Spark123 is helping on this in another thread.......sorry did not know you were running 2 threads

Yeah, sorry, seemed to be a different subject suddenly :) so I thought a new thread was called for.

Thanks for your help tho'

Trev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back