Earthing a light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to earth all the lights in our house as the current lights only have two wires. In order to earth these I need to get in the loft. Can I earth a light to a socket earth?

As the earth is always the same can I not just add an earth wire to the socket and run that into to the light?

if not then what can I do?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Tommy, you must not and cannot do what you are proposing.

Bite the bullet, do the job properly and rewire your lights.

I don't mean to sound dumb, but how big a job is it to re-wire the lights? Will need to take the walpaper down in order to get to the light switch? or is it just from the bulb end?

Thanks,
Tom

It depends on how the cables to the switches have been installed - if they are in tubing of some sort, you have a good chance of pulling a new one through.

If they are in capping you have a lesser chance, but you might be lucky, however check the old one you pull out - if the sheath is damaged then chances are the same thing will have happened to the new one you've pulled in.

If they are simply buried in plaster then its a hammer and bolster job, new cables, replastering and repapering. Sorry.

Sponsored Links
eeerrr thanks!!!!!!

That means Hammer the wall down. sob sob.

No seriously, thanks for your help all.

Tom

Tommy J said:
I don't mean to sound dumb, but how big a job is it to re-wire the lights? Will need to take the walpaper down in order to get to the light switch? or is it just from the bulb end?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom, I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you are unable to visualise the job at hand, then perhaps you should get a professional in to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back