Earthing Main Water Pipe - Hot & Gas needed too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Have converted a kitchen into a kitchen/diner, as such we have knocked down a wall, and moved where the sink was, etc.

My query is, when re-bonding the earth wire to the mains water supply, do I need to bond it to the hot water pipe, and gas pipe too?

It wasn't before, but my father mentioned that it should be done?

I know the earth should have no breaks/joins in it, but for me to go from the cold, to hot, then to the gas I'd need to join a bit on from each clamp, as the earth cable isn't long enough.. I've cut out a section of a cupboard to be able to clamp it and leave it exposed, however just thought I'd check.

Pic for reference:

Main cold supply (fed from mdpe under the house - from the street) is the top pipe, hot sits beneath it, whilst the lower pipe is the existing gas pipe.

I've had to cut out that section of the unit because there's a corner unit going where the hole in the wall is to the left, with the back edge of it not being hardboard.

TIA!

Sponsored Links
the cold water and gas pipes coming from outside the house to inside must be bonded back to the main earthing terminal at the electrical service intake point.

The hot water pipe coming from elsewhere inside the house does not need to be bonded as it is within the same equipotential zone.

Right, thanks - I've had a note from my gas supplier saying my gas mains isn't bonded - and that's now recommended..

Would it be adequate enough to re-bond the mains water as it was before, then from there, bond down to my gas pipe?

photo of a wood chisel being abused.
spank2.gif

Main cold supply (fed from mdpe under the house - from the street)
Is it MDPE until after it enters the house?

Sponsored Links
hehe :) It's old, chipped - found it in the garage when we bought the house.

I can see the MDPE come in the house (i.e. through the kitchen floor). - it then goes from 20mm MDPE -> copper -> stopcock - then copper throughout.

All the houses around here have it - not sure if it's acting as a sleeve, but the main stop cock in the street, is plastic rather than the old style where you'd need the big 'T' key to turn it off.

I have a picture somehwere... https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MLX76LGrnoA/UD39gDfzCiI/AAAAAAAABYw/i5gu286mhvk/s640/IMG_3900.JPG

Think I posted about it here too, in the plumbing forum.

I was wondering if it was plastic then why it'd be earthed, but figured as it was before I should be re-connecting it back up.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back