Earthing Supply Type help -High Earth Loop Impedance reading

Think it depends when it was installed, probably before PME was used a lot.

Sponsored Links
TN-CS was around in these parts back in 94, could be an alteration to an existing TN-S network tho (PILC etc). Westie101 will know!

Sponsored Links
I'd agree, split concentric cable that would be associated with a TN-C supply.
However we don't know what is at the other end of the cable or if there ever was an earth supplied.
(size of the individual strands of the earth on a SCNE larger than the than the strands of the combined neutral/earth on a CNE)

Yes the general rule is that DNOs generally have to provide an earth with a new supply and maintain any that exist.

I was assuming (yeah, I know, I know :oops: ) that as it had been opened up inside the cutout it was straight con, not split.

Oh well - there are only 2 ways to find out, and one of those might not work properly.

Do I take it that you mean TN-S

Yep that's the one.

BAS, if you look at the earlier photo of some SCNE you can see the different sizes & the different number individual strands of the neutral & earth. In a plain they are actually even smaller and more numerous

Definitely looks like TN-S on split con to me.

OP, do you know what the Ze reading for the supply was?

Though for a 60A main fuse the ELI is allowed to be above the 0.8 ohm figure which refers to a 100A fuse.

If we find one between 0.8 & 1.6 ohm we can fuse these down to 60A. We would treat this a temporary fix, other DNOs may not.

I don't think so. I know my DNO will often PME a failed TN-S supply and bond the sheath of the PILC, whereas westie and his colleagues will not.

Didn't ESQCR sort out all these regional differences?

It was never intended to as there were lots of acts in existence anyway (Don't forget that ESQCR are regulations empowered by The Electricity Act).
Just as Part P they are, with some exceptions, fairly non-specific.
It is up to each DNO to develop Codes of Practice to comply with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back