Earthing systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to know about the earthing system installed in my home. At the meter i have a 16sq T&E cable with the earth wire going in with the neutral cable at the meter. (Is the other end of this earth going to the earth block in my cu?) I also have an earth rod outside the back door. what is this grounding? It the earthing for sockets and the earthing for pipes different? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sure the earth rod is still in use?

From what you say about the neutral & earth being bonded at the intake, it souns like you have TN-C-S or PME (Protective Multiple Earth) system.

However, your description of an earth rod indicates a TT system, where the main supply does not carry an earth, but the earth is provided locally via a rod.

Look up the two types of system on the net to get a better picture. Maybe the EB could enlighten you as to the system you have if you are unsure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back