Easing an Oak Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an oak floating floor laid in my (large) lounge last summer. During this recent damp weather it has expanded more than the expansion gap allowed for under the skirting. I did query the amount of expansion at the time but was told it would be enough :rolleyes: This has caused it to lift slightly in the middle of the room. Skirting was fixed after the floor was fitted. What I am asking is how can I cut 1/2" off the edge of the boards in-situ. I can remove the skirting along one wall and if I can create a little more expansion room I think it will be OK and then refit the skirting. A circular saw set to the correct depth would be ideal but the offset from the wall is too much for a standard saw. Is there any such tool that would allow me to work so close to the wall?

Sponsored Links
you can get circular saws that will run close to the wall. Festool do one that cuts 15mm from the wall. They are not cheap tho. Maybe a trip to local tool shop to find cheap one to do the job? Can you not get the people who fitted it back to sort it?

Thanks for the advice. Interesting to know that there are tools out there. I don't even have to look up the price to know it will be dear being festool.

As for getting the people back, this was one of those 'favours' in the family if you know what I mean. I should be able to sort myself but it is a pain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back