Eaves support tray - should overlaps be sealed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody answer a question for me on eaves support trays?

I am about to use the Klober eaves support tray on my new garage. The installation instructions say that they should be overlapped by 100mm. Should the join be sealed with some sort of mastic? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks

AA

Sponsored Links
what-he-said_ani.gif

it is going to help if your roof is a shallow pitch and you dont now exactly how to fit them it will not take long and it wont cost you much. sikaflex is waterproof and will bond well but there are others.

Sponsored Links
I can't see any reason for sealing these as they are below the felt/membrane so no water should be getting to them ... and if it does you have other problems to worry about

I would seal them together.

You could use silicone, key the surfaces to be joined with some rough sand paper first to give the silicone a better surface to stick to.

Cheers.

Dear, oh dear.

There is no need to stick them together otherwise manufacturers would provide sticky things or sell 'em in one piece. :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for all the comments. I spoke to the Klober technical helpline who said there was no need but I must confess that I agree with hammerswinger - it can't hurt can it. Wind driven rain is a big issue up here so it's a belt and braces approach on everything.

Wind driven rain is a big issue up here so it's a belt and braces approach on everything.

The big question is how is any rain going to get to the trays in the first place? Like I said, if it does, then you have a more serious problem to deal with

And supposing that this driven rain does get to the tray and then can't get in through the sealed joint, then it will just be driven upwards and over the top edge of the tray and into your eaves!

So it is a waste of time

I don't agree with the "can't hurt" philosophy, because then you will be putting in extra nails, extra joists, extra foundations ...... extra sealant - and all for no reason and for no value. It's a false sense of security - get the tiles and felt done right and that will do you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back