eBay battery powered chainsaws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There seem to be so many of them for sale recently.
Just wondering if these would be good buy in terms of reliability and performance.
They seem to be in good price for what they are.
Anyone used them?

Sponsored Links
I have a parkside one which is brilliant but like the biggest percentage of cheap stuff is unrepairable once it breaks as no spares available.

I bought a very cheap little one that uses Makita batteries (as I already have some). It's surprisingly good. Chops through branches easily, can be used one handed so great up a ladder or tree climbing. Having good batteries means it lasts well. Only issue is that if you do lots of cuts in a row it over heats and needs a rest for a minute or two. Not ideal but given the price I can live with it. It's lasted a couple of years of reasonable use. If it dies I'd buy another, but maybe one with a slightly bigger motor.

Sponsored Links
It's a little 4" blade. It'll still give you a nasty injury so needs caution, careful handling and appropriate PPE. Personally it feels much safer than doing the same job with a folding saw when up a ladder or tree climbing.

Can be used one handed ?

Really?

Sounds dangerous

It's a little 4" blade. It'll still give you a nasty injury so needs caution, careful handling and appropriate PPE. Personally it feels much safer than doing the same job with a folding saw when up a ladder or tree climbing.

Climbing up on the ladder with a large chainsaw last year to cut the tall hedge stems was really difficult and felt danagerous. One hand operated light and small chainsaw would have been safer and easier while the other hand holds on to the ladder. Wish I had known these devices were available at the time.

Last edited:
Stick with ones that use Makita LXT batteries. At least you will then have some usable batteries + charger if the cheap tool ever dies, that you can use with a replacement tool.

Stick with ones that use Makita LXT batteries. At least you will then have some usable batteries + charger if the cheap tool ever dies, that you can use with a replacement tool.

They seem to come with warranty too. Some were saying 2 years or 5 years warranty. But one seller was offering Life Time Warranty.
Not sure if it would be realistic or straightforward to claim the warranties in case anything goes wrong with the saws or the batteries.
Not even sure if the sellers would be still traceable after 1-2 years from now.

Placed order on 2x saws coming with 2x Makita compatible batteries for each saw. It will give me 2x saws and 4x batteries. I have a lot of tree branches to cut, and burn them off due to 2 - 3 large trees cut last year in the garden.

Last edited:
It came to about £13 for each batteries for the 4. And the 2x saws were free, so price wise it wasn't too bad. Try to get them with the real makita name on them. They may break the bank.

Last edited:
Not sure what Ah they would be. If the saws are good, I would try to get the genuine Makita batteries with the Makita drills. But having 4x batteries will the saw keep going for a days job hopefully.

one seller was offering Life Time Warranty
Unless it was really quite expensive, or the warranty has so many holes in it that you could never claim, then this is a borderline scam, as you have observed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back