Ebay Bidding

Sponsored Links
Happens all the time, it's the seller just pushing up the price.........albeit slowly. :eek:

Andy

Thanks. That's what I thought.

But there's one bidder pushing it right up to $230 from 70 something in consecutive bids.

Surely it's not a fair auction when people do that?

click "show automatic bids" to see what is going on.

After each bid from t***a we see an "automatic bid"* from d***n. t**a then tries again with a higher bid a large number of times before giving up. Various other people then try and bid but d**n's maximum bid is $400 and so each time a new "automatic bid" is placed just above whatever they bid. Eventually r**t places a bid that beats d**n.

Of course it's possible that one or more of the of the bidders is a shill bidder but I don't see anything suspiscious per-se. Just someone who when losing keeps thinking "just a little more" until they have bid way more than they intended to.

* As any ebay buyer will know ebay does not apply your bid immediately but instead places automatic bids up to it as other bids come along.

Sponsored Links
P.S. My advice on ebay is to decide what you are prepared to pay and then bid that ammount as late as possible.

went to bid on something this very evening,no 1 had put any bids in,asked the seller a couple of questions and at just over 3 hours left he took the ad off.
when i sent another question to him,he virtually accused me of interrogating him?
and as no one had put any bids in he wasnt going to let it go for his starting bid.which was 200 quid.strange folk on ebay.

Just remember to refresh (F5) the page on countdown to check the clock time is correct and depending on the speed of your pc

The term for upping the bid on your own auction by small amounts until you reach, but don't win, the top amount that someone else has is call 'Nibbling'.
It's against the ebay TOS, but happens often enough.

Yes, sniping is the way to avoid it.

A way to stick it to the nibbler is to note the values at which the minimum bid change, and bid 1p less than that at your price point. The nibbler will overshoot and win it themselves.
Note that this has never actually worked for me as every time the bid snipers went way over my top bid in the final minute.

P.S. My advice on ebay is to decide what you are prepared to pay and then bid that ammount as late as possible.

Mine is the opposite - place your maximum bid as early as you can. Ebay will automatically bid up to that amount.
But I guess everyone has a different strategy

Mine is the opposite - place your maximum bid as early as you can. Ebay will automatically bid up to that amount.
But I guess everyone has a different strategy
The problem I find is, they will have more time to think about entering more money, whereas come in the last minute they think they've won already when many of them got caught out from people like me!!

went to bid on something this very evening,no 1 had put any bids in,asked the seller a couple of questions and at just over 3 hours left he took the ad off.
when i sent another question to him,he virtually accused me of interrogating him?
and as no one had put any bids in he wasnt going to let it go for his starting bid.which was 200 quid.strange folk on ebay.

Let Ebay know, they will deal with it, they have a reputation

Sponsored Links
Back