Echo dot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

If I have just an echo dot on its own can it do anything? And what?

I do have an internet connection

Sponsored Links
Play music, play radio stations, talk directly to other people with echo dots, tell you the weather, traffic, loads of stuff. Ask it to tell you a joke but it won’t be funny.

The larger one just has a better speaker. You can add speakers to the smaller one though

Sponsored Links
Google, on the other hand, can listen to your every word... :)

Im considering getting one just so I can tell it to turn my printer on (instead of reaching over and pressing a button) as I have a couple of remote switches that I can use an app (or alexa) to turn stuff on.

I have mine linked to my Sonos Amp and some smart light bulbs. So I can tell it where to turn the light on as well as where to play music. I also have one upstairs so you can use 2 as an intercom between rooms. I also have the buttons too.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I managed to link my Alexa to my hive the other day. We only have a couple of table lamps connected to hive anyway (came free with British Gas) and used to turn them on and off using our phone/iPad. Now we can just say "Alexa - turn on living room lamps/lamp 1/lamp2/up to 70% brightness/turn off etc." Getting real lazy now - considering a Bluetooth kettle so we can turn it on without going out in the kitchen!

You just need an automated filler. What about just getting an old Swan Teasmade.

You just need an automated filler. What about just getting an old Swan Teasmade.
I have an automated filler - I call it 'the wife'. :LOL: I suppose I could just buy a hive active smart plug and control the kettle with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back