Economy 7 Hot water cylinder timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys.
I have economy 7 in my Flat - Which seems to work out very expensive (When i have 3 storage heaters on it is around £6 / £8 a day!).

I have 3 Storage Heaters (Lounge, Hallway, Bedroom 1). There are also Panel Heaters in the Lounge, bedroom 2 and 3.

The hot water comes from a cylinder with an attached Hortsmann Economy 7 Quartz Timer (See manual here)

Over the past few months, i have noticed the timer seems to keep falling out of sync over the matter of days. This obviously means the Economy 7 primary heating comes on at times outside of the Night rate.

I am looking at replacing this.

Does anyone know of good quality alternatives? Preferably something with Daily timers (I work away a lot so would love to be able to set days I want it on or not). - Even better would be something I can control online.

Also, is this something I could install my self? - I am not an electrician (i know my way around home electrics though).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have used Lightwave switches on immersions, as long as you have a reliable connection they work ok

I don't know what a lightware switch is, but I guess the advantage of the timeguard one is that it carries on doing sensible (cheap) times, unless it is told otherwise

Sponsored Links
The lightwave will switch at whatever times are programmed into the app, with manual override

I have just noticed a little complication.

Most of these switches are rated 3kW.
My tank has 2 x 3kW immersion heaters in it (1 at bottom, 1 in middle).

The current hortsmann quartz (really old) runs both.

You gave a link for your present timer manual - read it.

Yes. Top is boost.

Yes. You cannot have both on together.

Sorry. My bad. Because I know how to use it, and didn't plan on doing anything with it, I never read it.

Read it now.

I understand.
:D

So you could get dual back box (2 singles together).

Put your Wi-Fi switch in one side to drive bottom element.
And a boost timer in the other side for top element.

However having a Wi-Fi switch your bound not to move off the couch...
Well you probably would

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back