Economy 7 Immersion conection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace a cylinder with two 11" Immersion's. There is an economy 7 timer on the wall beside with the nighttime output going to bottom immersion and the boost to the top. Can I replace the cylinder with a single immersion and combine the leeds into one?

Sponsored Links
When you say "combine" the leads, do you just mean remove one lead and power the single element from the timer?

If so, then yes. However, it gets more complicate if the electricity meter switches on an entirely independant circuit, rather than just records the off-peak usage but on the same circuit as the peak usage.

Thanks Softus, in the evnt I managed to get a Telford combi cylinder with two immersions so wired top one up to boost and bottom one to night time.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Paul

Paul Barker said:
I have to replace a cylinder with two 11" Immersion's. There is an economy 7 timer on the wall beside with the nighttime output going to bottom immersion and the boost to the top. Can I replace the cylinder with a single immersion and combine the leeds into one?

For future reference, DO NOT DO THIS.

EVER.

The two elements are fed from different supplies.

If you did connect them together you would backfeed the entire off peak installation from the peak supply, blowing the fuse, but every time the off peak supply powers up the element will come live as will the top of the blown fuse, now fed from an entirely different supply.

Two supplies in one fusebox. :eek:

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
Paul Barker said:

For future reference, DO NOT DO THIS.

EVER.

The two elements are fed from different supplies.

If you did connect them together you would backfeed the entire off peak installation from the peak supply, blowing the fuse, but every time the off peak supply powers up the element will come live as will the top of the blown fuse, now fed from an entirely different supply.

Two supplies in one fusebox. :eek:

E7 immersion timers are usually fed from the 24 hour day supply and switch the bottom immersion to coincide with off peak hours, it is quite rare to see an immersion fed from an off peak board

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back