Economy 7 metering query

Sponsored Links
I wasn't totally clear. I wasn't trying to distinguish between 'Standard tariff' and 'E7 tariff'. When I said 'standard rate' I meant that EV electricity would be charged on the same basis/tariff as everything else - i.e. removing the need for separate metering of EV use. Is that what you meant?
Yes.

Of course they will - that is the whole point of them.
So a lot of people seem to think.

I must say that, from what I've seen of them and their specifications, the smart meters currently being installed do not, per se, seem to have the sort of functionality that would be required to achieve many of the things that people seem to fear will (maybe, and a long time hence) come to be happening.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
policing the taxing of road fuel electric would be a nightmare
Needn't be.

1) Track how far EVs go and when and where - hey presto a bill. The rating process to allow for different types of vehicle, different locations (e.g. where there is a congestion charge), doesn't seem at first glance to be harder to do than it is for mobile phones.

2) Smart metering allows electricity for charging a car to be priced at £whatever at the point of use, no need for any analysis of waveforms, or assumptions of what % of a house's total load is EV charging - just have the charger record how much it provides. Usage data would be be collected by the providers via the smart metering infrastructure, and they would be responsible for paying some of the revenue to the government. Businesses are well used to being govt tax collectors, accounting for revenues, profits, VAT etc where there are taxation implications.

I still think that #2 is the easiest way to go.

So a lot of people seem to think.
It's hardly a swivel-eyed conspiracy theory.

I must say that, from what I've seen of them and their specifications, the smart meters currently being installed do not, per se, seem to have the sort of functionality that would be required to achieve many of the things that people seem to fear will (maybe, and a long time hence) come to be happening.
They haven't, and they will need to be replaced if they cannot be reprogrammed to support that functionality.

Asking whether or not one owned a car on a Tax Return would be straightforward enough,
Other than the fact that a majority of people do not complete tax returns as they have no need to do so.

It's either done via smart meters
or just add a substantial tax to the purchase price of the vehicle, which will just end up as an additional amount on the monthly rental payment for the end user. It's unlikely that anyone in the future will actually buy a car outright.

2) Smart metering allows electricity for charging a car to be priced at £whatever at the point of use, no need for any analysis of waveforms, or assumptions of what % of a house's total load is EV charging - just have the charger record how much it provides. Usage data would be be collected by the providers via the smart metering infrastructure, and they would be responsible for paying some of the revenue to the government. ... I still think that #2 is the easiest way to go.
I agree that something like that would be the simplest, nd hence probably best, way to do it.

However, I don't really see what such a system has got to do with smart meters or smart metering, per se. You are simply talking about a charger which monitors consumption and communicates the data to a centralised processing facility, which deals with billing, passing taxes to HMG etc. None of that requires a 'smart meter' or 'smart metering'' - indeed, the 'metering' of EV electricity usage is not even done locally. All that it needs is a 'smart charger' and some sort of communications interface with a communications infrastructure.

That is, indeed, pretty close to what currently happens with my Calor gas. Consumption (as in flow rate) is not measured directly, but changes of the amount in my tank is constantly monitored, connected by telemetry (presuming either satellite or using a cellular network) to a centralised computer. That compute constantly monitors my usage and decides if/when changes in my monthly payments are required, and also arranges for my tank to be topped up when necessary. The 'communications interface' for that is in a tiny box attached to the tank, which I imagine would cost very little to produce in large quantities.

Kind Regards, John

They haven't, and they will need to be replaced if they cannot be reprogrammed to support that functionality.
It clearly is going to be a good few more years, maybe even decades before (if ever) the current roll-out of smart meters that probably could not do many of these 'Big Brother' things which some people fear is completed, so goodness knows how long they would then take to replace them all with ones which could.

From what I understand of it, I also suspect that the hardware of current meters is not up to a lot of those 'evil tasks', either, so I doubt that it would be just a matter of 'reprogramming".

Kind Regards, John

Other than the fact that a majority of people do not complete tax returns as they have no need to do so.
Indeed so. I mentioned Tax Returns only because it had already been suggested. I suppose they could revert to the 'old system' whereby 'everyone' had to complete a Return. However, you cut off your quote of my post before the "but ..." bit, in which I suggested why a system based on Tax Returns would probably not be viable, even if everyone did have to fill them in.

Kind Regards, John

However, I don't really see what such a system has got to do with smart meters or smart metering, per se. You are simply talking about a charger which monitors consumption and communicates the data to a centralised processing facility, which deals with billing, passing taxes to HMG etc. None of that requires a 'smart meter' or 'smart metering'' - indeed, the 'metering' of EV electricity usage is not even done locally. All that it needs is a 'smart charger' and some sort of communications interface with a communications infrastructure.
Why set up a parallel system for EV chargers to run alongside the smart metering one?

It clearly is going to be a good few more years, maybe even decades before (if ever) the current roll-out of smart meters that probably could not do many of these 'Big Brother' things which some people fear is completed, so goodness knows how long they would then take to replace them all with ones which could.
Until we get to the point when the rate of rollout increases hugely, because they become compulsory.

At that point it won't be decades.

Why set up a parallel system for EV chargers to run alongside the smart metering one?
By all means use the communications interface which is presumably built into a 'smart meter' - but I still don't think that what you're describing has got anything to do with 'smart metering'. A 'dumb meter' with a comms interface would do equally well.

In fact, on reflection, your 'smart charger' would itself have to have a comms capability in order to be able to talk to the 'smart meter', so it probably might as well be designed to communicate directly with the outside world, rather than bothering to go via the meter.

Kind Regards, John

I'd take you up on it.

I'm convinced that they will address the widening gap between supply and demand by suppressing, or "better managing", demand rather than increasing the supply. And that they will want to do anything they can to avoid crude rolling blackouts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back