ECU in Renault Megane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a few problems with my car - ie it died on me last week. The garage have rang to say that they have sent off the ECU to have it repaired - the car was only running on 2 cylinders. Does anyone have an indication of what it is going to cost to get it fixed. My brother is a mechanic and his helpful comment was that if they can't fix it, it could be expensive!! Brotherly love hey

Sponsored Links
how old is the car? I had the ecu fixed on mine under warranty, even though it was just out the manufaturers warranty as it was a common problem on reanults

Hi there

It ran out last November! Typical with cars, its like they know, or its like the manufactures programme them that way!!

If it requires a new ECU, then sadly yes, expensive, around £350 for the unit , plus labour +VAT ( :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: )

Sponsored Links
Hi Eddie thanks for your reply, although I think it will be a bit more than that! Just got it back from Renault who charged £250 + VAT to fix the problem with the unit and to guarantee the work I had to have all four coils replaced at £40 each + VAT - at least it is guaranteed for a year - but I think it is time to get rid!!!

Best part of £500, ouch. You buy a new (or newish) car thinking you won't have to worry about expensive repair bills.

One word that sums it all up: D'oh!

I'm not suggesting life is this easy, but I had an ECU go on my Mighty Maestro (Yes, BL had the technology in the 80's!!). Was told by ARG dealer it would be 500+ for a new one. So, while I contemplated scrapping it, my mate (who was an electronics buff - I'm not!) picked it to bits and found a dry joint on a resistor. 10p later, the car was firing on all cylinders!

Hurrah!

Sponsored Links
Back