Effects of incorrect frequency on small motors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be using a voltage converter to step down from 220v to 110v in order to operate a small, hand held, motor driven device. The device is meant to operate with the 110v and 60 hz but any converter will not step up the freq from 50 hz, normally supplied with the 220v. Thus my machine wants 60 but gets only 50. So my Q is what are the consequences of using the overly large frequency on the motor? And is there any way to step up the frequency?

Sponsored Links
Chances are your motor is a "universal" type, in which case it matters not what the frequency is.

Im not sure i understand - if the motor is for 60hz then using 50hz is not overly large frequency.. The only consequence of doing this will be the motor will not run as fast as if it were on 60hz.

The only way to up the frequency and thus the speed, is to use an inverter drive also known as a variable frequency drive/variable speed drive to name but a couple of the names.

In short, you will not do any damage. Some motors when running at lower frequencies than designed ( we are talking low like 20hz) will run too hot as the fan wont be spinning fast enough to effectively cool the motor, but as already pointed out by Jackrae, most motors are designed to run on both 50 and 60hz so they can be used in the UK and USA among others...

Just to clarify what I mean by "universal". If the motor has a brush fed commutator, like say an electric dril, it is the voltage which determines motor speed, not the frequency of the supply. Universal motors will run quite happily on any frequency (within reason) and operate right down to DC.

If however it is a squirrel cage motor the speed of rotation is determined by the supply frequency but such motors are rarely used in "hand-held" appliances.

Sponsored Links
A universal motor is a DC Motor where both the rotor and stator fields are from the supply (not magnets) so when the AC switches polarity the motor doesn't notice.

The impedance ( effective resistance ) of the 60 Hz motor windings will be lower at 50 Hz so the ciurrent will be higher and in some motors this can cause the motor to run hotter than normal.

Just to clarify what I mean by "universal". If the motor has a brush fed commutator, like say an electric dril, it is the voltage which determines motor speed, not the frequency of the supply. Universal motors will run quite happily on any frequency (within reason) and operate right down to DC.

If however it is a squirrel cage motor the speed of rotation is determined by the supply frequency but such motors are rarely used in "hand-held" appliances.

AH yes, I thought he was talking about a machine, but turns out i didnt notice the hand held bit. Second time this morning that i couldnt read properly. Not quite sure what you mean by 'operate right down to DC'?

Thanks to all, very interesting topic

Likely wrong spelling but seem to remember in Apoo street shim-shammi-poo next stop to admiralty on MTR there is a street full of nearly every converter you could wish for. If the item does depend on frequency then sure you can get what you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back