Effloresence above DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have effloresence above the DPC on a passage way wall. This wall is not exposed to the elements, therefore no moisture comes into contact with the wall face. Does the DPC need redoing? Is the moisture coming from below or above?

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

Cheers

Matt

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As belushi says it can be an indicator of damp but the way your post read seemed as if you were sure it was and i just wanted to let you know that don't start worrying unnecessarily that this definatly meant you had a damp problem.

The moisture in the air or moisture tranfering horizontally through the wall is more than enough to cause it.

What's happening on the inside? Have you noticed any damp trouble?

As belushi says it can be an indicator of damp but the way your post read seemed as if you were sure it was and i just wanted to let you know that don't start worrying unnecessarily that this definatly meant you had a damp problem.

The moisture in the air or moisture tranfering horizontally through the wall is more than enough to cause it.

What's happening on the inside? Have you noticed any damp trouble?

Not really. Those pictures are from my passage. On the inside is the chimney stack. I'll take it off with a wire brush and see if it recurs.

[ On the inside is the chimney stack.

Well there is you answer then :rolleyes:

Moisture from the flue (whether it is in use or not) is causing it

It will come back if you brush it off. Its a phenomenon, not a problem, and there is no quick remedy

There's an air vent on the inside of the stack in the room. The stack backs onto a passage so I've just put in an air brick on the passage side. I plan to close the vent in the room.

yea it is various salts in the chimney stack leaching out, it has probably appeared recently because of a change of some sort hence why i asked about the blocking up a fireplace. Its nothing to worry about but if the flue is no longer in use best to cap it with a vented cap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back