Elastilon Underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone used this? Would you recommend it? Better yet, has anyone used and can recommend some of the cheaper alternative adhesive underlays?

Sponsored Links
Actually, let me rewind a bit.

I'm looking for advice on laying engineered wood flooring on a brand new chipboard floor. This is in a loft conversion, so sound proofing is important.

I've seen a lot of talk of Elastilon on various sites, but I suppose I really need to establish whether it's overkill for my requirements. My flooring of choice is tongue and groove (no click).

Thanks.

You can lay an engineered board as a floating floor this has been the preferred method of installation for many years, you would need to make sure the floor is flat before you start using a long straight edge. When laying the floor you would glue the joints using a D3PVA glue, a standard wood glue will create noise when walking on it and become detached with movement.

Glue the joints and strap the first 3 rows together until they set, then it makes it easier for the rest of the floor laying, be mindful of your expansion gaps. Make sure that the engineered board is up to room temperature before you start, I have seen many DIY projects where it has been laid in the cold,, It is not a pretty site.

You can use a Polyethylene thermal underlay which is more cost effective,, a 6mm variant is here

http://www.allbriteuk.co.uk/thermall-6mm-underfloor-heating-insulation-coverage-10m2.html

We have used this for over 14 years with engineered board and laminate flooring without issues.

Acoustic values are also good reducing impact noise by 21db

You can lay an engineered board as a floating floor this has been the preferred method of installation for many years, you would need to make sure the floor is flat before you start using a long straight edge. When laying the floor you would glue the joints using a D3PVA glue, a standard wood glue will create noise when walking on it and become detached with movement.

Glue the joints and strap the first 3 rows together until they set, then it makes it easier for the rest of the floor laying, be mindful of your expansion gaps. Make sure that the engineered board is up to room temperature before you start, I have seen many DIY projects where it has been laid in the cold,, It is not a pretty site.

You can use a Polyethylene thermal underlay which is more cost effective,, a 6mm variant is here

http://www.allbriteuk.co.uk/thermall-6mm-underfloor-heating-insulation-coverage-10m2.html

We have used this for over 14 years with engineered board and laminate flooring without issues.

Acoustic values are also good reducing impact noise by 21db

Thanks very much, that's really useful info!

How do you strap the first rows together?

Sponsored Links
you could use rachet straps or luggage straps, protect the surface of the wood first and do not over tighten, that could cause the boards to create a mini V shape. just need to be tight enough to hold together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back