elctrics in new extension

Black replaced yellow and grey replaced blue

Cables should be oversleeved with the colours of what you use them for, if you need a neutral its normal to use the grey and sleeve it blue, black is quitre often used for switched live, or in SWA, earth (of course sleeved correctly for what you do with it)

Oh, and I notice you mentioned utility room, it would be wise to consider closely what you need in there, it is certainly a nice touch to have a tumble dryer on its own circuit, or if you want to go really OOT have a separate circuit for each appliance

Sponsored Links
Should i still sleve it even if its the new hormonised colours ? how come the 4 core isnt harmonised same as the twin and earth ?

So far as the seperate ring for the drier, I only have 2 spare RCD in my consumer unit. 1 Was going to be used for lighting and the other for the socket ring....

Spoke to BCO this morning.. He said they dont really mind what height plug sockets and light switches are in domestic locations so long as they arent stupidly low or in silly possitions... the disability thing is mainly aimed at local authoraties and public access areas such as shop toilets said:
i just dont get these things iee and on the courses we get one piece of information and then something like this.
as far as we were toldf these hieghts were for domestic dwellings , on our newbuilds they had to be with these regs even the architect pointed out things like that, where are you by the way?

Hi Geezer,

Im in Blackburn, Lancashire..

The only thing he was adamant on was the fan in the utility room. I asked how he wanted it wiring, Either on when the light was switched on for a timed period OR separate switch.

His words when i asked were " Not really bothered how you do it so long as i can see one fitted" :eek:

now i took that as him saying, " i wont be seeing if it works, just that you have fitted one...."

Maybe i will save myself a few quid hiring the core drill and just screw it to the wall and pretend it vents when switched on :D

Mick.

Sponsored Links
that explains it, i heard up north things are easier, actually easier everywhere else except birmingham thats where i am, they realy screw us down here. the fan down here they expect an isolator switch for it also, although its variable.

If it is a refurb or new build, then switches and sockets must be between 450 and 1200 off the FFL.

I inspected houses built this month yesterday, and all sockets are min 450 off floor and all switches are max 1200.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back