elctrics in new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a very quick enquiry. I have built an extension and I am doing my own electrics (spark doing periodic check when finished)

I need to install a fused spur for the extractor fan and also one for new boiler. Now i know you can simply spur off the ring main, fit a relevant fuse, But since im in the first fix stage, Can i simply just run the ring to the fused spur rather than spuring off ? or is this a NO NO ?

Cheers guys..
Regards,

Mick.

Sponsored Links
including fused spurs in the ring is better, no problem with that we dom it on new houses all the time

Geezer,

Cheers pal your a star... i thought it would be better but i thought id better check first :)

I read the reference section on here before i started but just to double check, does this plug location look ok ?

pluglocation.jpg

There will be a door opening where i have cut into the cavity.

Its 320mm from the window opening and 150 from the wall..

Cheers Geezer..

Mick

its ok ,but idealy we locate a foot away from the the corner, but you may have a problem after if any curtain planks went up they might drill through the wires, but it will do where it is. one more point looks like you have used plastic sheathing to cover the wires, if im not mistaken, it would be better to use metal ones.and also the box should be located 450mm from the ground to the bottom of the box, this is a written requirement in the reg osg.bc will notice something like that and light switches 1200mm from the ground to the top of the box.

Sponsored Links
I thought there was a rule with regards not putting socket within 300mm of a window reveal ? Or have i got it all totaly wrong.

Cheers... i just measured the ones in the house and did the same.. think the bottom of the box is 12" 300mm ...

That NO GOOD then :(

Glad i checked
what about ones higher up.

We intend to fit a work top in the utility room... Again i meassured ones in kitchen did those at 46"

Come on guys,

Some one must be able to confirm the requirement regarding height of sockets... Is it definatly 450mm heigh to the underside of the socket ?

Mine in the house are 300 and the ones i have done in the new bit are also 300mm

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick, what Geezer said about min and max heights for sockets/ switches etc is totally correct. This is to help people whose reach is limited. The measurements are from finished floor level. Unless the house is specifically for people with limited reach (people in wheelchairs etc) the requirement dont apply to kitchens and garages, but only to rooms that visitors would normally use. The reason your other sockets are different is probably cause your house was built before this Building Regulation came into being.
Hope this helps, TS.

As far as I understood it the new Disability Discrimination Act heights only apply to new and refurbished properties. Don't know if an extention is classed as a new build though. I stand to be corrected and I'm sure I will be :)

Rob

Must admit rob, I thought the same myself, but checked OSG and it dont specify new builds and refurbs only. I also don't know if an extension counts as new build.

Must admit rob, I thought the same myself, but checked OSG and it dont specify new builds and refurbs only. I also don't know if an extension counts as new build, But I would guess so.

At the end of the day it is worth asking the local building control and see what they say.

Cheers guys, thanks for all the replies.

I did try to call BCO today but they were all on site :confused:

Will try again tomorrow.

While your all in the mood here is another quickie for you. The plans stipulate an extractor fan in the utility room. Is this normal ? as in, do all new utility rooms have extractor fans ?

In addition i assume this should we wired to the lighting spur so it comes on when the light is switched on ?

I was planning a 2 way switch 1 near the new back door and one when you come from kitchen into new room.. I asume the extractor is fed from the live return to the bulb and supplies the FSB that then supplies the fan.

Am i correct.

Cheers again

Mick.

Just a quick follow up to those who kindly replied to my original enquiry.

Spoke to BCO this morning.. He said they dont really mind what height plug sockets and light switches are in domestic locations so long as they arent stupidly low or in silly possitions... the disability thing is mainly aimed at local authoraties and public access areas such as shop toilets, restauraunts and so on..

Going bact to the 2 way switch. I got the 3 core and earth yesterday and noticed new harmonised wire colours... i guess brown replaces red, But the new cabl also as grey and black. which one replacec blue the grey or black ?

Cheers guys...

Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back