Elec oven and cooker hood connected with plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was hoping i could get some advice. I've been asked to move a kitchen from upstairs to downstairs as the property was a shop but the new owner wants to turn it into a standard house. Now the job seemed straightforward, i would do the plumbing and carpentry and get an electrician in to connect up the electric oven and cooker extracter fan/hood.

However the homeowner advised i did not need an electrician as the electric oven, and extractor hood are not directly connected to the mains circuit. Instead the previous installer has fitted standard wires and a 3 pin plug to both these appliances. Now as i'm not a qualified electrician i dont know what to make of this setup, but i assume this is not how these appliances should be installed?

I am reluctant to move these appliances for the guy as i have a feeling these connections may be against building regulations. I have never seen the cooker hood or electric oven connected using a 3 pin plug! Can someone please advise if this is safe?

Sponsored Links
There are versions which either use less than 3kW or can be configured to use less than 3kW so one can't say you can't do it. However it would be unusual.

Most hobs use more than 3kW so would need larger supply than you can get from a 13A plug. Some ovens are over and some under the 3kW. The extractor should be no problem.

For fixed appliance the recommendation is over 2kW it should have dedicated supply.

The domino (two ring only) hobs are often under 3kW.

just to check, when you say "oven", do you mean "oven" or do you mean "cooker?"

just to check, when you say "oven", do you mean "oven" or do you mean "cooker?"

no, just the Oven. The cooker hob is a gas hob and built into the worktop. The oven is seperate and just an electric oven.

Sponsored Links
OK. If it is a single oven made for the UK market, it is almost certain (check the rating plate) to have a max usage of less than 3kW, and can be supplied from a plug and socket. However this is not considered to be good practice.

the property was a shop but the new owner wants to turn it into a standard house.
And every single socket, light and switch etc in the shop + flat are exactly where they will be needed in the new house configuration?

the property was a shop but the new owner wants to turn it into a standard house.
And every single socket, light and switch etc in the shop + flat are exactly where they will be needed in the new house configuration?

i have no idea, i'm only doing the kitchen, and the location of such sockets are ok in the kitchen.

Who's moving the hob, and if its you, are you on the Register? If you are - prove it by posting in the CC on this site.

i second misterdubya if your qualified post in cc or dont touch gas it is illegal to workon appliances without being competent to do so.
peekay53

Who's moving the hob, and if its you, are you on the Register? If you are - prove it by posting in the CC on this site.
i second misterdubya if your qualified post in cc or dont touch gas it is illegal to workon appliances without being competent to do so.
Given that, before (s)he discovered that the oven and hood had plugs fitted, the OP was planning to get an electrician to connect them, I very much doubt that (s)he would be contemplating any gas plumbing unless (s)he was competent, qualified and registered to undertake such work.

It is, IMO, a bity of a pity that people so often jump to conclusions and 'think the worst'!

Kind Regards, John

if you reread ironnazs post you will see he mentions doing the plumbing etc he also states getting electrician to make good elecs but he also mentions gas hob and that is what myself and misterdubya refer must be fitted by competent person and most of the ops on cc dont think he is registered to work on gas and that was the point we made
peekay53
well all the op has to do is register on cc to prove he has his gas qualsand that would be the end of it but ironnaz refuses to do this hence we all believe he is not gas safe registered we are not giving him hard time but he does ask a lot of questions regarding gas work

Given that, before (s)he discovered that the oven and hood had plugs fitted, the OP was planning to get an electrician to connect them, I very much doubt that (s)he would be contemplating any gas plumbing unless (s)he was competent, qualified and registered to undertake such work.
You may want to reconsider that after you have read some of IronNaz's other postings on this site.
In particular this mess: //www.diynot.com/forums/trade-talk/best-way-to-advertise-plumbing-services.300070/
because this person is not a DIYer wanting some help, they are apparently being paid to do various jobs that they are neither qualified or capable of doing.

Reminds me of a van I saw the other day which advertised bathrooms fitted and part tiled for £700 all in.

You may want to reconsider that after you have read some of IronNaz's other postings on this site.
That might be true, but I only look at this one forum on this site, and took the OP at face value in terms of this thread.

There may be questions or grievances about the OP in other contexts, and other forums, but what I saw appeared to be a total reasonable, and seemingly very responsible, question. The OP indicated that he had intended to get an electrician to connect the items, but was being told that this was not necessary because they could be supplied via plugs and questioned whether this was correct electrical practice and in compliance with the regulations. (S)he didn't mention anything about gas until asked whether it was a cooker or oven. I would say that questions here very frequently don't look as 'responsible' as that, at least when taken at face value.

Anyway, I'll leave it to the gas guys to sort out their grievances with this OP!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back