Electric Boiler/CU/RCD question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All. I would really appreciate some input on something. I'm installing a 9Kw electric boiler - and am upgrading my old school Wylex re-wireable fused CU's with something more modern. The current (inherited) setup is pretty chaotic - with a 6 way CU and another 2 way CU both running from an 80A 30mA RCD (Primary Earth conection is TN-S). Existing circuits are 4x15A, (2 15A on the 2way CU) 1x5A, 1x20A and 2x30A . My main question is this - the required 40A supply for the boiler - would this be best served from a CU+RCD totally separate from the new CU and existing RCD setup - it's a pretty big load and in theory could overload the 80A shared/common RCD - or should I strip out the existing main RCD - use a split load CU and run the boiler circuit from the non RCD side of the CU but through an RCBO?

Or just move somewhere on gas ;) ?

Your thoughts very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why do you have a main RCD? :eek: Thats madness. Though theres nothing safety wise wrong with it, it may cause a bit of false tripping. They are very sensitive devices and should only be used on a circuit or 2 at a time.

The boiler doesnt need RCD protection, and shouldnt have.

Have you heard of heat pumps? Efficiency of up to 400%, they work like an air conditioner in reverse, and some models can cool your home too, depending on the method of air/heat distribution inside the home. They effectively take free heat / energy from outdoors (air or ground source collection) and convert it to useful heat in the home, which can be used to warm water, or can heat coils in an air blower or standard radiator.

JohnD said:
Heat pump pervert :LOL:
Well some people dont even know of their existence and the HUGE energy savings to be made compared to plain electric heating! Same with GU10 CFLs :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Not sure it needs to be on RCD, consult the makers instructions

Its inadviseable to supply heavy loads that will be taking full whack for a long time from a domestic CU (electric boilers,big submains, etc), and this is even more so if you are going to stick it on the rcd side and have a 80A rcd, as you quite rightly are conncerned about.

I'd split the tails, and hager do a four module DIN metal enclosure, stick a main switch (or RCD if required), a B50 breaker, and a blank in one of those

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back