Installing an RCD?

If you are going to do it, ensure there is

NO LOAD WHAT SO EVER

on the fuse or it will arc badly and explode. If its an old cutout with ceramic fuseholders, the fuse holders may disintegrate in your hands, or halfway out of the box. Then what . . . And what will you tell the supplier when they come to repair it?

I am lead to believe that some suppliers will pull the fuse for free. Rign them and ask. If they do charge it will be a matter of 20-40 pounds. Depends how much you value your personal safety really.

And if anything does go wrong if you pull the fuse, boy will you know about it.

Sponsored Links
Some DNOs will fit a DP isolator. If this is done in conjunction with a cutout upgrade it might even come for free.

Don't worry.

I am getting someone in to do this job as I've decided it is much too dangerous for me.

Will an approved electrician be able to replace the CU without having to get someone else in to pull the fuse?

it is possible to do so but let the sparks worry about that, pay the money and ask for the certs. job done.

Sponsored Links
aaronb said:
Well, the law it maybe but....

I don't think I'm going to go to jail for pulling a fuse, somehow :confused:

Let's be honest, it's rather like the law says that you aren't meant to do such and such with BT wiring. But plenty of people do and the jails aren't full of them, are they?
Firstly it is not illegal to interfere with BT equipment, but they will not authorise you to do it. Secondly why are you asking for advice which you appear to have no intention of following?

pdenni said:
it is possible to do so but let the sparks worry about that, pay the money and ask for the certs. job done.
cheers. Deff the best way I think. For the sake of, what, £100 it's hardly worth the risk or the bother of changing a CU.

jj4091 said:
Firstly it is not illegal to interfere with BT equipment, but they will not authorise you to do it. Secondly why are you asking for advice which you appear to have no intention of following?

I thought some things were illegal, like moving the BT master socket?
Not trying to argue, I just wondered?

And yes please don't pull the fuse it can get messy, Phone your supplier for an isolator and a very nice person like myself will lovingly install you one( USUALLY FREE OF CHARGE unless your with a greedy supplier). :D

He wants to RCD protect one or more circuits.

It is undesirable to put the whole installation on one RCD

Changing the CU is needless work and expense

Pulling the main fuse is being debated.

In the time it took to have all this discussion, the MCBs for the appropriate circuits could have been replaced by one or more RCBOs.

Surely everybody knows that?

He wants to RCD protect one or more circuits.

It is undesirable to put the whole installation on one RCD

Changing the CU is needless work and expense

Pulling the main fuse is being debated.

In the time it took to have all this discussion, the MCBs for the appropriate circuits could have been replaced by one or more RCBOs.

Surely everybody knows that?

Would replacing the MCBs in this manner be Part P Notifiable ?

alot has changed in the last 2 years. this work is notifiable and if you have a polug in wylex board you wont get RCBO's for it, there are prob alot of boards you wont get RCBO's for.

i beleive you can get rcbo's for the NH wylex range, although this work is notifyable. saying that it's a nice simple job to do for a sparky so shouldnt cost alot. Important to have a PIR done on the installation first to ensure you dont have any problems that may not cause the RCd to set. If you have as installation without RCD protection it could well need some updating to current standards in other respects too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back