Installing an RCD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Righto,

Basically wanting to install an RCD in a house I've just bought. The CU isn't the most modern but has MCBs, so I can't see the point of replacing it. What I was going to do wa buy an RCD in an enclosure and wire it between the meter and the CU, by diverting the existing meter tails to the RCD and putting in some new tails from the RCD to the CU. I've seen this done before, so assume there is nothing 'illegal' in doing it! Just one question, are there any implications about removing the main fuse (80A) on the incomers prior to the meter? I can't see a way of doing this work without removing it, though!

cheers!

Sponsored Links
You should not protect the entire installation with a single RCD.

It is illegal for you to pull the main fuse your self.

You must call the DNO and arrange for them to come and do it for you.

What brand, type and colour is your current fusebox?

In which case I'll forget the whole thing.
It's a Wylex - I haven't got the details on me but could post them up next week.

My parents house has in installation like that?

hi aaronb

ok its good u want to put an rcd on your system but the way you are proposing isn't the best unless you have a tt system installed, which is an incoming supply with no earth supplied.

If you put the rcd on you can end up with nuiscence tripping on the lighting circuits and heating circuits if you have an old boiler installed.
Your best bet is to either replace the whole board with a split load consumer unit or depending on the age of the board there you could fit rcbo's which is an breaker with a rcd attached which is the ultimate in house protection.

Rcbo's are expensive though and if you have a very old consumer unit you will have to check that they will fit in cost £35-£45 per rcbo to buy

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I see. I must admit that we had the RCD on the whole board in my parents house without any tripping on the lighting or heating circuits. How common is this problem?

I could change the CU, but am planning on selling the house soon anyway, so am not too keen to spend more than I have to!

If it is illegal to pull the main fuse, what would be
(a) the liklihood of getting caught?
(b) the penalties of such?

aaronb said:

Thats like saying I know murder is illegal, but I intend to do it anyway. Will I get caught?

You will have to cut the seals, so the DNO will know that their equipment has been inteferd with.

Death.

If the fuse is in a bad condition then it might just kill you when you attempt to pull it.

aaronb said:
... we had the RCD on the whole board in my parents house without any tripping on the lighting or heating circuits. How common is this problem?

It is quite feasible to get away with it, especially if all your equipment is in good condition - but did you regularly test the operation of the RCD to confirm it was actually protecting you? On the other side of things, where 'nuisance tripping' does occur it is very inconvenient. How common? Common enough for the regulation that originally allowed it to have changed as a result.

You will not get the answer you want from any responsible person.

So the best course of action would be to change the whole CU?
I really don't intend to pay anyone to remove a fuse.

aaronb said:
I really don't intend to pay anyone to remove a fuse.

Thats the law.

You have no choice.

The fuse will still have to be removed to replace the CU anyway.

Well, the law it maybe but....

I don't think I'm going to go to jail for pulling a fuse, somehow :confused:

Let's be honest, it's rather like the law says that you aren't meant to do such and such with BT wiring. But plenty of people do and the jails aren't full of them, are they?

things is you cant compare extending a bt point to pulling a main fuse on an electrical system, it might well cost you to put a new cu in by a qualified spark but its a lot less to loose than your life if something goes wrong.

Before you do break the law and pull the fuse please Click Here

warning.jpg

Yes, well. Given that I'll be having the whole think checked over anyway, I'm not keen on paying twice.
The way I look at it is that you can die from many things. Getting in the car, or in my case getting crushed by a locomotive. In the grand scheme of things, is there really much risk? I've also got some insulating gloves that I could wear.

ok i dont really now what else to say to you, all who have posted on this subject have advised you on legalities and the dangers involved but ultimately the decision is yours, its always better to pay and have it done by a qualified and certified sparks, id imagine it would be fairly difficult trying to explain to the local power company how you took out all your neighbours electricity when your mains fuse blew up in your face after illegally breaking the seal!!!!!!.
It might sound extreme but it does happen.

AaronB

:evil: I consider your comments, regarding removing the Main Cut-Out Fuse, stupid and irresponsible. Yes a RCD can save lives, but stupid idiots like you can kill.

Think before you...........

A DIYer who thought he knew all directly killed a 15 year old girl mowing the lawn. The RCD he had fitted was a second hand unit he obtained from a Boot Fair and installed it without removing the 1970's ELB that was in situ.

To make sure he killed her he rewired the Mower cable with the male pins on the cable coupler affixed to mains and not the mower.

Penny Saved Penny Dead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back