Electric Car Drivel

It's not really the sources (of CO2 or heat) that I am talking about, but, rather the question of the activity of the natural CO2 regulatory mechanisms.

As you have said, I would hope that there is no argument about the fact that 'greenhouse gases' result in a 'greenhouse effect' and the fact that human activity has been pushing increasing amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

As above, what I am talking about is the role which the natural CO2 regulatory mechanisms play. One has to remember that the (pretty small, only about 0.04% by volume) 'relatively constant' (despite this discussion!) amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is the result of the balance between large amounts going into the atmosphere (primarily from biological sources and released from the sea) and going out of the atmosphere (primarily by biological mechanisms and dissolution in the sea) - I believe a total annual 'turnover' of around 800 GT (800 billion tonnes) per year (in both directions).

As you have said, the 29 or so GT of 'anthropogenic' CO2 will have a small effect on the total 'input', but my point is that just a small change in either the biological or oceanic removal of CO2 could have a large effect on the 'balance', hence the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, even if the 'input CO2' had not changed at all.
As I've said, I don't think there is any dispute that increased CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) results in warming, so the only relevant possible 'unknown unknowns' relate to possible 'other' mechanisms for the atmospheric CO2 levels having risen as much as they have. As above, it would only take a very small decrease in the uptake of CO2 by biological organisms and/or the ocean, or a very small increase in CO2 release by those same things, to result in the atmospheric CO2 level rising much more than would be the case if the only change were due to input of 'anthropogenic' CO2. Although 'unknown unknowns' are obviously unknown, one can certainly speculate about various possible ways (some due to human activity - so, I suppose, also 'anthropogenic', but not due to the burning of fossil fuels) in which biological organisms and/or the oceans may have changed a little in their behaviour.

Kind Regards, John
Hi John. This website answers your points better than I could https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-increase-is-natural-not-human-caused.htm

Sponsored Links
The C is carbon from the fuel, the O2 is oxygen from the air. It's not more from less, but that oxygen from the air is also used to create the end products.
Indeed.

If one assumes that petrol is entirely octane (C8H18), then 228 Units (lbs, g, kg or whatever) of petrol combines with 800 units of oxygen to produce 704 units of CO2 and 324 units of water. 228 units of petrol therefore would produce 704 units of CO2, hence 7lbs of petrol would produce about 21.6 lb of CO2 (and consume about 24.6 lbs of oxygen from the air). There is thus a 'loss' of about 10 lbs (7 + 24.6 - 21.6), that being the water produced.

[if anyone wants the equation for the reaction ... 2C8H18 + 25O2 = 16CO2 + 18 H2O ]

Kind Regards, John

Natural temperature measurements also confirm the general accuracy of the instrumental temperature record.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If it is that proxies and thermometers agree then you are wrong. The temperature reconstructed from tree rings did not agree with (was lower than) the thermometers in the 20th century and so "Mike's Nature trick" was used to splice on the thermometer data the help create the hockey stick.

That link won't load so I don't know what data you are trying to supply. I have seen studies saying that there is a large difference.

Given the strong causal link between CO2 and warming

No, there is no significant causal link between CO2 & recent global warming. There is a relatively weak correlation, and there is the fact that CO2 can delay the release of heat to space. This does not mean that atmospheric CO2 is a significant cause of recent warming.

The globe has been warming for several hundred years, since the Little Ice Age, well before there was a significant amount of anthropogenic CO2 in the atmosphere.

what are we to make of periods where CO2 does not correlate with temperature? The most commonly cited example is the recent years since 2002.

IME the most commonly quoted period is the 17 years from 1997 to 2016, see
http://woodfortrees.org/plot/rss/from:1998/to:2016/plot/rss/from:1998/to:2016/trend
when not only was there no correlation but the trend was flat. That is longer than any of the models predicted beforehand and longer than the 15 years that experts said could be expected when that pause started.

Subsequently models have been changed so that they can hindcast this sort of pause, essentially admitting that they were wrong before this.

However, this is a short period as far as climate trends are concerned.

Yes, but all of the good data is for a short period. Anything longer than 30-40 years is either poor quality of not global. All of the really long-term 'data' is inferred from things that are not just measuring temperature, e.g. tree rings.

There have been 7 major studies of consensus on ACC.

4 studies gave 97% consensus, 1 gave 100% and other 2 vary between 91 and 93%.

There is a very strong correlation between climate science expertise and consensus.

The original figure came from Doran & Zimmerman and people have tried to confirm that rather than looking for an answer from scratch. AFAIUI all of these studies have been flawed. For example, Cook et all got a hand picked group of amateurs to review paper abstracts and when half the reviewers quit and the the others could not pick up the slack they let them look up the the paper's authors (totally against the published protocols) to help them decide what the authors thought.

That study came up with a 97% figure but when the data was independently reviewed it was found the true number was 1.6%. The rest were papers that had 'implicitly supported' the idea. Basically if the paper did not say NO then it was counted as a yes, even though most papers actually did not comment.

And, as I said before, science is not a popularity contest. All of the experts have been wrong before and they can be wrong in this case.

Also, at the moment the only way to get funding in this area is to promote the CAGW line. Anyone who does not want to do that will not do research in that field.

Sponsored Links

I would, pardon the pun, be extremely sceptical of anything from that site. It is way out on the alarmist side on this matter. The site founder, John Cook, has no post-graduate scientific training and was a cartoonist before (and in the early years) of this site,
http://web.archive.org/web/20080213042858/http://www.skepticalscience.com/page.php?p=3

That link won't load so I don't know what data you are trying to supply. I have seen studies saying that there is a large difference
Large difference in the values or trend?

I would imagine there is a large difference in the values, as would most rational people, but the papers I have read show similar trends.

Also, at the moment the only way to get funding in this area is to promote the CAGW line. Anyone who does not want to do that will not do research in that field.
Ah, the old line about funding. I am sure there are plenty of organisations willing to fund studies to disprove ACC.

I would, pardon the pun, be extremely sceptical of anything from that site. It is way out on the alarmist side on this matter. The site founder, John Cook, has no post-graduate scientific training and was a cartoonist before (and in the early years) of this site,
http://web.archive.org/web/20080213042858/http://www.skepticalscience.com/page.php?p=3

If he was publishing his own research then that would alarm me, however he seems to aggregating others work, as well as significant contributions from very well qualified climatologists.

not only was there no correlation but the trend was flat

Anything longer than 30-40 years

You quote that 17 year period that shows a flat trend, and mention 40 years as a limit for accurate data.

If you extend your 17 year period back to 1976, so nice accurate data from within 40 years, it shows quite a strong correlation. Almost as if a flat period (or even a drop!) during a longer upwards trend doesnt disprove the trend?

I suppose that must because Saudi Arabia, the other OPEC countries, Russia and the Oil majors are practically penniless and incapable of buying politicians and researchers or influencing policy.

No, wait....

Countries like the US and the UK have fought wars, at great cost in blood and gold, to gain dominance over oil. You think there are no rich and influential people who will gain from the fossil fuel trade?

Hi John. This website answers your points better than I could ....
I've just had a very quick glance, and there seems to be a fair bit of nonsense written on that page ...

For a couple of examples I have so far noticed:
Carbon is composed of three different isotopes: carbon-12, 13, and 14. Carbon-12 is by far the most common, while carbon-13 is about 1% of the total, and carbon-14 accounts for only about 1 in 1 trillion carbon atoms in the atmosphere. CO2 produced from burning fossil fuels or burning forests has a different isotopic composition from CO2 in the atmosphere, because plants have a preference for the lighter isotopes (carbon-12 and 13); thus they have lower carbon-13 to 12 ratios.
Maybe I'm being dim, but I don't see how it follows from the fact that plants tend to avoid an isotope present in "1 in 1 trillion molecules" that ("thus"!) they have a "lower carbon-13 to carbon-12 ratio"!!
and ...
There's no reason to expect that a natural release of CO2 would have any effect on atmospheric O2 levels. On the other hand, the O2 concentration is changing exactly as we would expect from a fossil-fuel driven CO2 increase
Whilst what they say is true as far as it goes, if a rise in atmospheric CO2 were (partially) due to plants etc. removing less CO2 from the atmosphere, then they would consequently putting less oxygen into the atmosphere, so atmospheric O2 levels would fall (as well as CO2 levels rising). That's how photosynthesis works - for each molecule of CO2 removed from the atmosphere, one molecule of oxygen is released into the atmosphere - so each molecule of CO2 not removed from atmosphere means one less molecule of O2 put into the atmosphere. The atmospheric CO2/O2 changes due to decreased photosynthetic activity would therefore be the same as those due to burning fossil fuels - which rather invalidates their argument.

I'll have a proper look at the article later but, in view of the above, I will probably be hesitant to take too seriously anything else they have to say !

Kind Regards, John

Maybe I'm being dim, but I don't see how it follows from the fact that plants tend to avoid an isotope present in "1 in 1 trillion molecules" that ("thus"!) they have a "lower carbon-13 to carbon-12 ratio"!!
and ...
I dont think you are dim. I think that final point should read "thus they have a lower carbon 14:12 ratio" a typo I think rather than a flawed point (or you being dim- it doesn't make any sense to me as it's written)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back