Electric Cooker / Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three questions.

I have a 5.8Kw hob to install.

1) Can this be wired into the same junction box as my 5.5Kw double oven?

2) I make 5.8Kw + 5.5Kw equates to a 49A MSB. Would a 50A do or should I go for bigger ?

3) Would I be better off wiring a seperate radial circuit direct to the consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
1. possibly. though was there a hob there before? If you had gas hob before, take the electric one back right now and swap it for a gas one. You will sorely regret the change to electric, until the day you fit a new gas one - electric hobs are pants, and are much less efficient. What size cable is there, supplying the oven and cooker switch? What size MCB is it on? How far from the origin is the cooker position?

2. hob = 25.2A oven = 23.9A. A 40 amp MCB would suffice - applying diversity a little bit here, since you wont be using everything at once, but the official diversity rule for cookers brings the rating down far too low, IMO. What's an MSB?

3. This is by far the best way - a seperate 32A radial for each appliance.

Perhaps an MSB is a Miniature Sircuit Breaker :LOL:

JohnD,

Did you work that out yourself? I'm impressed !!

But does your mam know you're up this late ?

To Crafty1289 : Thanks for the advice. For information, an MSB is a Miniature Circuit Breaker when you've just returned from the pub. ;)

Sponsored Links
dieseldog1964 said:
To Crafty1289 : Thanks for the advice. For information, an MSB is a Miniature Circuit Breaker when you've just returned from the pub. ;)

haha... I get the idea:

Red to erm...bla....brown... thats it, black to black....yeah that makes sense...blew to bits.... oh dear, yellow to... I really don't give a **** anymore...

:LOL:

If I install a separate radial circuit for the hob instead of wiring it to the terminal box on the oven circuit, does this mean I have to put in another terminal box and control unit for the hob circuit ?

dieseldog1964 said:
If I install a separate radial circuit for the hob instead of wiring it to the terminal box on the oven circuit, does this mean I have to put in another terminal box and control unit for the hob circuit ?
yes, im afraid so. It wont look too bad if you go with a single-gang-width unit for both.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK5105.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG975.html

and what we have all failed to mention is part p. this work is notifiable to your local building control under part p of the building regs, a fee will be charged and it will be inspected. This is a legal requirement. look in the WIKI (top of forum) for more details on part p.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back