Electric cooker supply cable.

Thanks for the explanation of what an FSD is!

It sounds a good thing to have. Can you buy them separately to fit to older appliances or do they only come as an integral part?

Sponsored Links
I would have expected that a 6 m² flexible heat resisting cable should be used
Edited to correct the very obvious error of showing 2 m² rather than 6 mm²

Last edited by Agile on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total
Obvious to many, and yet you still haven't spotted the fact that your correction itself contains an error. :rolleyes:

Thank you kindly. ;)
You're very welcome.

BTW, I couldn't quite understand the gist of what you wrote.
The gist of it was to point out that Agile is an electrical numpty, hence, if he were to follow his own advice wrt gas work, then he shouldn't be touching an electrical installation.

You may think he is incompetent, but folk here knocked him for his description of flex, yet he was accurate in what he said.

As for his alleged incompetence, what exactly did he post that suggested that? I can't see anything...

Sponsored Links
To put you out of your misery in his edited correction he typed 2 mm instead of 6mm

folk here knocked him for his description of flex, yet he was accurate in what he said.
I didn't knock him for using a wrong description; I was drawing attention to the unnecessarily lengthy description of what everyone calls "flex". It's that very over-wordiness that betrays an unfamiliarity with the reasons for using and not using flex, and whether or not it should be heat resistant.

As for his alleged incompetence, what exactly did he post that suggested that? I can't see anything...
Well, since you ask, I suspect what you're missing is the vast history of his posts on other topics, in which he repeatedly jams his undersized feet in his oversized gob, and displays mind-numbing hypocrisy by chastising people who make gentle enquiries about gas work and haughtily informing them that they're incompetent (sic.).

I disconnect a lot of electric cookers so that I can connect up a gas cooker.

I would have expected that a 6 mm² flexible heat resisting cable should be used but I dont normally see these listed and all those I remove have been connected with flat twin + E cable which is intended for fixed wiring.

Whats the official line?

Tony

Edited to correct the very obvious error of showing 2 m² rather than 6 mm²
View media item 7800 View media item 7801any clearer.
using using 2 core + cpc (twin + earth) is fine as long as it meets all requirements and properly terminated. i'd rather buy a drum of T+E than flex, in fact i dont think there is 6mm heat resitant flex available. I'd use small Heat Resistant flex on a hob cos the flex has to snake around the units and main oven below, but T+E on main oven with enough length to move cooker out as easily as possible.
Its not wrong to use it. F ;) X

..........I have noted that hobs for UK market arrive without flex but same hob for French market has four core flex with them........

Just wondering if this could be the regulations getting themselves tied in a knot in this country?

As I understand things, manufacturers are supposed to supply a suitable plug fitted on the end of the flex for an appliance.

Obviously, a 13 Amp plug would not be suitable, so rather than supply a flex, and run into trouble for not fitting a plug, it's safer for them not to supply any cable at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back