Electric Cooker Switch

Thanks again. And he will be ok connecting a 45amp cooker feed with this type of crimp connector?

Sorry for all the questions but want to make sure it's done correctly.

Robert

Sponsored Links
That depends - while it's allowed in the regulations, some people (me for one) aren't happy burying crimps in walls (which is what it sounds like will be needed). It also depends on the size of the cable, whether he can get appropriate crimps for it etc etc.

I can understand him wanting to run a new cable, as with a high power appliance, any joints are weak points, and if it's not a perfect joint, it will heat up when high currents are drawn, and could at a random point in the future melt, causing at best an intermittent fault, at worst a fire.

He also may have wanted to re-run it because he may have spotted the existing cable is undersized or whatever - basically you'll have to ask him - I'd say just suggest to him about crimping it, or putting in a high rating junction box under the floor etc, and see what he says...

I don't think the wire is a problem as the house is only 18 months old. ANyway Iw ill see what he says.

Thanks again for all your help.

Robert

Just because it's only 18 months old doesn't mean whoever installed it originally used the right size cable ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. And he will be ok connecting a 45amp cooker feed with this type of crimp connector?

Sorry for all the questions but want to make sure it's done correctly.

Robert
You should find a new electrician.

You clearly do not trust the one you have to either give you correct information or do a proper job, so what's the point in continuing the relationship.

Fair point. I am going to get another couple of quotes but this guy was recommended by the kitchen company.

It is an IKEA kitchen but not there fitters. I have read all the horror storys about them.

Robert

When I said not their fitters I mean I have sources my own from local recommendations. Not only are they crap they cost a fortune aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back